Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

I cannot for the life of me figure out how this works.

Sithun
Pro
Sheet Author
I'm going to be "that annoying person" now. I've been working on a sheet the last couple of days. I've used notepad++ and have tested it in chrome. I'm now content with the way it looks, the css and the html, the attributes and everything is set up. Now in a perfect world, i imagine that i should be able to just copy and paste the files into the "custom" character sheet template page, and then roll20 would automagically figure out the correct additions to style/class names. This, alas, is no perfect world, and i have to manually figure out what prefix goes where. The wiki is not really any help. I've taken care not to use any ID's, only classes. Everything that is not explicitly styled in the html is styled by a class, but no matter what combination of "sheet-" and ".charsheet" I apply to the html or css, it still refuses to use the classes in the css! That is, I sometimes get to see that it refuses to use the classes in the css, whenever the preview deigns to do what it's supposed to do. I'm starting to suspect that there are a lot more hidden "do's and don't"-s to this thing. I'll not vent any further, but its just so infuriating! Would someone care to give me a hand with this? What am I doing wrong here??
What's it suppose to look like? As far as I can tell, everything is showing up, but I'm not sure what you want to see. I'll try to help, but there are limits.
All of your class names inside your HTML are going to be prefixed with "sheet-". So for example, &lt;div class="shortfield"&gt;&lt;/div&gt; will become &lt;div class="sheet-shortfield"&gt;&lt;/div&gt;. That means in your CSS, you should do: .sheet-shortfield {} not .shortfield {} The easiest way to see how this will play out is to paste your HTML into the custom sheet editor and then inspect the Preview pane. You will see all of the prefixing is done. If you want, you can pre-emptively prefix it yourself, for example if you do &lt;div class='sheet-shortfield'&gt;&lt;/div&gt; in your own HTML, it will leave it alone. Then you can edit it more easily in an external editor. This is all in the wiki (e.g. the second note in the CSS/Styling section): <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Character_Sheets#Building_a_Character_Sheet" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Character_Sheets#Building_a_Character_Sheet</a> Finally, I'm not sure how the whole thing will handle all the UTF8 characters you have used in your class names...I'm not saying it won't work, I"m just saying I don't think it's been tested. So you might also try using just regular ASCII characters in there and see if that makes a difference.

Edited 1421926423
Sithun
Pro
Sheet Author
Thanks for the help! The wiki was the main villain in this, it got me a bit confused. It is starting to shape up a bit. Here's what im trying to accomplish , and this is what the code i posted in the op should look like in a regular browser: I'll post an update on how it looks once i get all the things in. Hey, is it okay if i upload this to the repo when i finish it? Edit: I can also confirm that it does not seem to approve using utf-8 characters, "åäö", in class names. :P

Edited 1421931753
Sithun
Pro
Sheet Author
Small update. It's looking better. Some minor alterations to my code made it look usable again! :) Alas, the background color only covers the top labels; a h1 and h2 in a table . If someone knows a way for it to cover all of it, I would be happy to learn!
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
If you share your HTML/CSS we may be able to find what's wrong.
Sithun
Pro
Sheet Author
Sure! This is the code, in its entirety: HTML CSS Top-most in the CSS is some of the things I've tried. Currently it's set to display a background image instead of a color, but the result is identical whichever I try.
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
The issue is the float: left in .sheet-table-middle . The floating elements aren't taking up vertical space within .charsheet , but are instead overflowing outside of it (and thereby outside the background image you're using). In Chrome, using overflow: auto , overflow: hidden , or overflow: overlay on the .charsheet are all forcing the container to the expected height. That's not the behavior I actually expected, though, so I'm not certain whether you should rely on it. Instead, I would recommend swapping the float: left for display: inline-block .
Sithun
Pro
Sheet Author
That was exactly what was needed! Thanks for the insight! I will update tomorrow on the progress, and probably take a look at the repository.
Sithun
Pro
Sheet Author
And so, I've made the sheet work. I would like to thank you guys for helping me with this! I can now say that I, for the life of me, CAN understand how this works now! Here's the end result: I have made a pull request and hope the devs will find it good enough! :D Again, thanks for the help!
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
Nice looking sheet, Frej B. =)
Sithun
Pro
Sheet Author
Thank you! The sheet is now approved in GitHub. But how long until it users can select it in campaign settings? The wiki guide to GitHub does not mention any other process after approving the pull -request.
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
There is no process. After you submit your pull request, it's in the dev's hands. =) Your sheet is listed in the official repo's approved.yaml, so it should just be a matter of time before it's available for selection by everyone.

Edited 1422191032
Sithun
Pro
Sheet Author
I think you misunderstand me. I understand that once I issue the pull-request, all I need to do is wait for it to be approved, according to the wiki. The wiki does NOT mention any delays between the pull-request being approved (or rather the subsequent adding of a sheet to the "approved.yaml" file in the repo) and the sheet showing up as a selectable template in the campaign options. Is it that adding a sheet to the repo is only a "front end" for a much more elaborate process in the "back end" of roll20, in the sense that it is a process that requires a certain amount of work from the devs, to move a sheet from GitHub to some database in roll20? That is what I would like clarified by someone with some inside information, and preferably, I would suggest that information be added to the relevant wiki-page. EDIT: "After we have reviewed your sheet if we approve it we will add it to the approved.yaml file in the root directory which will cause it to be available to everyone on the main Roll20 site" - Github README.md If it is an automatic thing, then something has gone awry.
Github is a storage place. Having it up on Github does not make it accepted. A pull request goes to the Devs about your file. They decide if it goes into Roll20 or not. If they decide it is something that should be added to the rest of the available sheets, they will add it to the list when they get around to it. It is not instant. Not even close. They are a pretty busy bunch of people. What game is this for, if I may ask?

Edited 1422233139
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Frej B. said: If it is an automatic thing, then something has gone awry. Your sheet has already been added to approved.yaml, and I don't see any of the errors that have caused issues in the past (error in json, missing file, BOM). If something has gone awry, either I can't see it or it's something new.
Sithun
Pro
Sheet Author
That's just the thing. If its in the approved.yaml, why cant i select it in campaign settings?
If they decide it is something that should be added to the rest of the available sheets, they will add it to the list when they get around to it. It is not instant. Not even close. They are a pretty busy bunch of people.
Sithun
Pro
Sheet Author
Jesus effing christ, don't be like this on purpose! Look, the sheet IS approved. It IS added to the list. Every single source I've seen tells that the process AFTER it is approved and added to the list is instant . Evidently it is NOT instant, since the sheet is in the approved.yaml -file, but STILL not selectable in campaign settings, and I am wondering why. I understand they are busy, but clarification on the process is not to much to ask for.

Edited 1422292153
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Frej B. said: That's just the thing. If its in the approved.yaml, why cant i select it in campaign settings? As I said, I don't know. I looked over your sheet for known problems that have prevented other sheets from showing up despite being approved, and didn't find any. Your sheet has been approved for 3 days now. I can't recall any sheet being approved for that long and not showing up in the list with the exception of those that had problems, so I suspect that something has gone wrong. However, I don't know what has gone wrong, because I'm unable to find any errors in your files that have cropped up before.
Sithun
Pro
Sheet Author
Thanks! Feels good to know that its not just me who thinks something is wrong. What do you think, should i post in "Bug Reports & Technical Issues"?
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Or PM Steve with a link to this thread.
Sithun
Pro
Sheet Author
Alright, so i PM'ed Steve, who coincidentally was the one who approved my sheet, and he said that roll20 is going through some changes in the department of how users select sheets in campaign options, and that is why it is taking longer than usual. An understandable reason, in my book.
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Frej B. said: Alright, so i PM'ed Steve, who coincidentally was the one who approved my sheet That's why I recommended PMing him over Riley. =)
Sithun
Pro
Sheet Author
Yea, I didn't catch that at first. :P Thanks!