Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Alternate Powers Removed in M&M 3e?

Edit: Changed my question. Don't really want to start a new thread for this question. I see you could take Alternate powers in 2e, but I am not seeing such a thing in 3e. Was that dropped? Was it replaced with Alternate Effects? Guess this was dropped with the Power Feats? ___________________________________________________________ Thanx for answers for the question below, really helped my group a lot. ___________________________________________________________ So, I am starting to read through the core rules for Mutants and Masterminds and realized, there are no Hit Points. How do you resolve a fight, how does your characters take damage? How do they heal up this damage?
Not having played the game, the best I can offer is this line from the rpg.net reivew : "The lack of hit points (you have to make a saving throw against damage, with the possibility of nothing happening, you getting stunned or unconciousness) is an amazingly brilliant design. All in all, the game has an extremely comic-booky feel to it, and is highly customizable for a wide variety of playing styles."
Thanks Balladeer! Still hoping for a player or GM going in here with a little more incite.
From someone who has played 2nd edition. (I am not 100% sure, but I would assume that 3rd edition would be the same) You have your Defense score and then you have a Toughness roll. When someone makes an attack on your character you compare the attack roll to your defense, if it meets or beats it, it hits you. Then with every attack there is a Damage modifier. So lets say we have Major Glory fighting the evil Death Dealer. The Death Dealer has a playing card deck that he uses as his weapon which has an attack of +10. Major Glory's Defense is 20. The attack is rolled and Major Glory is hit. So now that the character hit we look at the damage which is determined by the power he used. So Death Dealer used his Blast power which is a Level of 10, so it deals 10 damage. Now the damage will be a DC in which the defender has to roll against with his Toughness save. A Damage DC is always 15 + damage modifier, in this case 10. So, the DC in which Major Glory has to meet or beat is a 25. Major Glory has a Toughness save of +10 so he makes his roll. Rolling a 15 or better means nothing happens, it didn't hurt him that bad, he was able to take it. Now if Major Glory were to roll a 10-14 (thus making it a 20-24) he would take one Bruise. If he gains a bruise all following toughness rolls are rolled at a -1 and for each additional bruise he continues to accrue another -1s so eventually it will become harder and harder to beat the damage DC. Now if he were to roll a 5-9 on his first roll or get a 15-19 he would not only take a bruise, but will also be stunned. Stunned means that he will not be able to do anything on his turn this round and a few more thing, but I can't quite remember all of them off-hand. Finally if he were to roll a 4 or below on his first roll or get a 14 and lower he would be knocked on conscious and be down for the count. And that is just an overview on how damage works in this system. It really does work out really well. And while being knocked out first round can happen it is not very likely to happen because of something called hero points, so no worries on that end. And there is more to how damage works, but that is how it works on a basic level. I like to think of it as kind of doing damage backwards, instead of rolling numbers to lower the person's HP the defender is making a roll to block the incoming damage and depending on how well the roll is means how much damage they will take. I hope this helps.
Will definitely need to get used to it, but thank you for the details. It will help a lot.
Why don't you ask this on the forums of the actual game publisher?
@David, not being rude, but why would I have too when I am already on this game forum? There are players and GM's on here that can answer a variety of questions, and someone did. I see nothing wrong with people asking game related questions here and getting answers.
There's nothing wrong with it per se, but only a small # of people here will know the answer, whereas ALL the people at Green Ronin will know the answer. Furthermore, the forums are getting full of spam as it is. Asking a question that has nothing to do with roll20 on a roll20 forum is less than ideal.
That's why I asked it in the General & Off-Topic section.
Asking a question that has nothing to do with roll20 on a roll20 forum is less than ideal. Isn't it why it is called the Off-topic board?
it still spams the All Discussions board. Eh, whatever.
Nope no hit point in M&M just a damage track that reduces you rolls. If you check through the rules you can see that this damage can be healed by using a hero point or over time between fights along with a use of obvious powers (heal etc). The rules are a little more free form with this being based on comic books so the GMs say weighs in a lot more on these decisions.
Thanks for offering that info. Don't really want to start a new thread for this question. I see you could take Alternate powers in 2e, but I am not seeing such a thing in 3e. Was that dropped? Was it replaced with Alternate Effects. Guess this was dropped with the Power Feats?
It was renamed Alternate Effects.
Power Feats are still there also; They are now 'Flat' Extras.
Yup alternate effect. 1pt each up to the PP cost of the main power. The obvios use for these is a utilty belt where you pay for the most expensive power and then a single point for aeach effect because the are 1 round effects that can't be used in conjunction with other APs.