Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Is there a way to show my players the picture of the journal token?

I was thinking that it would be great if I could drag and drop (or some other method) the picture onto the screen to show them the picture and then just delete it. Is something like this possible?
Are you talking about characters or handouts? If it is characters, you can assign the tokens to it and if you upload the token images in a larger size and high quality you can highlight the token and press SHIFT-Z to zoom into the token to give a good view of it.
That's a cool function Kevin. I had asigned a token to the journal but also a picture which I took from the MM book in some cases. I was hoping to be able to have the token on the screen for them to interact with but before battle begins, I show them the picture. If this is not easily possible, then it's not a biggie.
The image isn't something you can show in this fashion, particularly if you have a token defined for the character journal. You could create a handout in parallel, putting the image in the handout, then using the show to players option. Now the first thing that people will say is that if the journal entry is there with all players able to view it, the players can see it all the time. While this is true, there are ways to work around that if this is something you are interested in doing. Basically you create all of your handouts with the appropriate access rights, then archive it. The means that the players will not be able to see it. Then you create a master handout that has all of your other handouts linked using the "[HandoutName]" syntax. This allows you to use the master handout to reference the individual handouts quickly and press the show to players button to have it pop up on their screen.
Thank Kevin! That will work for me.

Edited 1421947116
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Barry said: I was thinking that it would be great if I could drag and drop (or some other method) the picture onto the screen to show them the picture and then just delete it. Is something like this possible? I've done a "slideshow" of sorts. Add some images to your map, resize them so they are small "thumbnails". I often place them around the edge of the screen or just off the map and use Shift+Z to Show all Players. Or similarly keep them on the gm-layer and bring them to the map or token layer as needed.
How do you link handouts together using the "[HandoutName]" syntax? Sounds like a good idea!
@Jeremiah - You simply create say Handout1, then archive it. Then you create MasterHandout and in the description field (or I think GM section too) you add the text [Handout1]. Once you save it it will automatically generate a link to it, so that when you access MasterHandout you can click on the link to bring up Handout1. @Vince - that is a really great and simple way of handling it as well, particularly if you don't need additional data in the handout (or don't need the players to ever reference it again).
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Kevin said: @Jeremiah - You simply create say Handout1, then archive it. Then you create MasterHandout and in the description field (or I think GM section too) you add the text [Handout1]. Once you save it it will automatically generate a link to it, so that when you access MasterHandout you can click on the link to bring up Handout1. @Vince - that is a really great and simple way of handling it as well, particularly if you don't need additional data in the handout (or don't need the players to ever reference it again). I've used the thumbnails as "encounter keys", gm-only stuff, just click and read. And I've placed thumbnails(so small only the token name can be read) over a map that player's can Zoom and view/read. e.g. Interactive map where player's can click on the token's name to see detail of the area and/or read text.

Edited 1422389236
Gold
Forum Champion
Yes, Barry, you can show the Character picture (#7 in the example graphic) to the other players. As GM, go to the Journals tab and click on the Character whose picture you want to make available to all. Where it says "In Player's Journals" (#3 in the example graphic) add "All Players". This will make the character's avatar (non-token) visible to the other players under their Journal tab. Of course if you want to hide it again later, simply remove "All Players" in the same fashion. <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Journal#Viewing_Options" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Journal#Viewing_Options</a> Hope this helps. I allow all the Players to view this tab, for all the PC's, in all my games. And we use a different token. So there's a plain token (like a letter, a face portrait, or a top-down) and there's a nice full picture of the PC on their bio tab called their Avatar which is set to All Players permission. It is good to let the other Players see the other PC's avatar and biography.
Thanks Gold!

Edited 1422390266
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Alternately, you can drag the portrait image to the desktop show(resize or Shift+Z) and delete. note: players that drag and drop their portrait won't be able to delete the token from the editor, only the GM can do that.
Gold
Forum Champion
Vince said: Alternately, you can drag the portrait image to the desktop show and delete. Love it. You could even make a new Page, and drag everyone's portrait image onto the page. Name the page "Family Picture". Move the Player ribbon here to let them see it. Move the player ribbon to another map to hide it, but still have it around for posterity and later use.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
That's a good idea. I often have "largish" portrait images that I want to show the players. Often, just the first time they encounter the NPC/Creature. 1001 ways to skin an orc. :-)
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
It wouldn't be too difficult to write an API script that would show the image in the chat... (quick and dirty hack of someone's pic script...) !char-pic @{Bob|character_id} on('ready', function() { on('chat:message', function(msg) { if (msg.type == "api" && msg.content.indexOf("!char-pic") !== -1) { var charid =msg.content.split(' ')[1]; var c = getObj('character',charid); if(c) { var fPart = "&lt;div style='box-shadow: 3px 3px 2px #888888; font-family: Verdana; text-shadow: 2px 2px #000; text-align: center; vertical-align: middle; padding: 1px 1px; margin-top: 0.1em; border: 1px solid #000; border-radius: 8px 8px 8px 8px; color: #FFFFFF;" var tPic = fPart + "background-color:#666666;'&gt;● " + c.get('name') + " ●&lt;/div&gt;"; var Pic = fPart + "background-color:#AAAAAA;'&gt;&lt;img src='" + c.get('avatar') + "'&gt;&lt;/div&gt;"; sendChat('', "/direct " + tPic + Pic); } }; }); });
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
The Aaron said: It wouldn't be too difficult to write an API script that would show the image in the chat... (quick and dirty hack of someone's pic script...) 1002 ways to skin an orc... Nice. I changed my macro to !char-pic @{target|Who?|character_id} so I can just click any token. Thanks Aaron.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Could this method be used to Show All Player instead of chat?
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
The API doesn't have access to show all players. =/
Aaron! Your script is exactly what I was hoping for. THANKS! One small request.... is it possible to alter the script to show the picture but not the name of the character? I didn't see that in the script but thought I would ask....
Would I simply delete "get(name)" on line 9?
I think you can delete the whole line, but I'm not sure. You would still need to delete the + tPic 2 lines down to prevent errors, but you could actually just delete the + tPic part and it wouldn't send the name to the chat.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
on('ready', function() { on('chat:message', function(msg) { if (msg.type == "api" && msg.content.indexOf("!char-pic") !== -1) { var charid =msg.content.split(' ')[1]; var c = getObj('character',charid); if(c) { var fPart = "&lt;div style='box-shadow: 3px 3px 2px #888888; font-family: Verdana; text-shadow: 2px 2px #000; text-align: center; vertical-align: middle; padding: 1px 1px; margin-top: 0.1em; border: 1px solid #000; border-radius: 8px 8px 8px 8px; color: #FFFFFF;"; var Pic = fPart + "background-color:#AAAAAA;'&gt;&lt;img src='" + c.get('avatar') + "'&gt;&lt;/div&gt;"; sendChat('', "/direct " + Pic); } }; }); });
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
That should do it. :)
Thanks Aaron :)
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Thank you Aaron.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
As per usual i'm too late to the party here but my simple solution would be to have the pictures you want to show them on the GM layer, then at the start of the encounter you could simply move it to the map layer, shift-ping it to draw attention, do your spiel and then move it to the GM layer/delete it as needed. That way you have them all ready in advance but not visible until you want them to be... Or use Aaron's script :P
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
:) Really, that's not even my script. Just one that's been floating around that I modified. Think I got it from William but don't really remember.
Aaron's script works really great for me simply because I had already given pictures to the journal entries for my own benefit. Now due to his genius, I can simply click on the encounter tokens and show their picture to the players in the chat window. Roll20 is getting better and better! I'm very happy with what can be achomplished with scripts!
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Me too! Can't wait for the UoH to hit. I've got some ideas... =D
I guess I'm not seeing that... What is UoH and where can I read about that???
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
<a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1326546/in-progress-feature-on-dev-11-slash-7-popout-character-windows-and-chat#post-1326546" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1326546/in-progress-feature-on-dev-11-slash-7-popout-character-windows-and-chat#post-1326546</a> <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1424752/dev-update-12-slash-15-overhauled-3d-dice-character-sheet-performance-improvements-and-more#post-1424752" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1424752/dev-update-12-slash-15-overhauled-3d-dice-character-sheet-performance-improvements-and-more#post-1424752</a> <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1496126/dev-upda" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1496126/dev-upda</a>...
Thanks GenKitty