Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Unify Character Editing

Edited 1422083961
So adding character sheets as a tab on the character made alot of sense. However before character sheets existed there were certain operations you could do with the character not in edit mode, and other operations you could with the character in edit mode. With the addition of character sheets, this artificial division doesn't make much sense from a user perspective. I think instead of having an 'edit' button to decide character name, tags, bio, ect, it should simply be a tab that exists on the character. There are currently 3 tabs Bio and Info -- A non-editable player view of the character in question Character sheet -- the Chosen character sheet Attributes and Abilities -- The actual values of various feilds, and character level macros. My suggestion is to change (Bio and Info) to simply be called Info. Then we should remove the edit button from the top of the screen, and add a tab called 'properties' that deals with how the character is rendered, chosen token, ect. Having tabs for some info and an edit button for other info doesn't make alot of sense. I understand this may potentially be a huge project. But it would make more sense from a user perspective.
Gold
Forum Champion
I get what you're saying. Interestingly the Edit button is actually required for editing the Bio tab text (NOT just for editing the chosen token). Scroll down under the chosen-token, and there is the box for editing the Bio text field. I agree it's somewhat confusing, especially at first sight.

Edited 1422252978
I'm a stupid person, in that without cues from the interface, I often forget what screen I'm on, and what I am doing. I click into and out of varios modes constantly. Intuitive controls are important because they let people figure out how to do things at glance, without having some process memorized. Good design is about drawing the eye to points of relevance naturally, instead of having the 'proper' way learned before hand. Setting up a D&D game is fundamentally an artistic process with a cerebral streak. This isn't necessarily going to be popular on the roll20 forums, mostly because the people on these forums have generally invested some time fumbling around with the controls, but DM's who don't work in web development or computer oriented fields will have far less luck than I have. Granted this is a minor issue, the tool is awesome otherwise. But in trying to explain how to use these tools to a friend of mine who will be starting a campaign, I found myself at a loss other than saying 'this function is located behind this arbitrary button'.
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .