Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Problems with Old World Style? Chat with Russ

Edited 1421361657
Russ H.
Marketplace Creator
Hi everyone, I don't get a chance to view the forums during most of the year, but had the chance to catch up a little here lately. I noticed some people had some problems or questions using the Old World Style map tiles and tokens? Alignment issues? I've been contacted through email and social media sites from quite a few people who love using the tiles, and have had the pleasure of seeing some of the maps made. Awesome job, btw! Please help me understand what is happening, as I went in this evening and created a quick map in the Roll20 map editor and everything seems to be working fine. To load, I typed in "old world style' and the library filled with tiles and token tiles; but I will check tags on sets to make sure they are easy to search for when loading. I checked tiles with transparencies in the map/background layer from sets that had tiles; and was able to put in the ocean/water tile (right click to move to back or move to front) and checked the coastline tiles from the first set as well. Tiles snapped to grid easily, and multiple tiles could be selected and copy/pasted to fill up background areas faster. Aside from those tiles in the first set, the majority of the Old World Style sets are token tiles (the trees, mountains, etc.). Token tiles are usually centered when I upload sets to make it easier for copy/paste of multiples - as most of you know, where you right click the mouse will be the center of the pasted token when doing copy/paste. In scale, they are made on the same grid size as the background tiles and uploaded at that same scale; but I did notice they get shrunk to one square unit (which is easily rectified by re-sizing) when drug over from the library. They will work full scale on the map layer or you can use them on the token layer. The thought behind making things like castle walls, towers and such as tokens with faded edges was that map creators could break away from the grid to give their map a more personalized touch. Holding down the ctrl+alt buttons while placing, to break away from the grid, works great, as does the re-sizing feature. Also using the ctrl+alt allows you to create more variation in the rotation when placing. My hope is that everyone enjoys using these, not to frustrate anyone. The intent behind the Old World Style was to give others the chance to create a map with that hand-drawn feeling. I will be monitoring this topic for the next couple of weeks if anyone has questions.

Edited 1421342433
Russ H.
Marketplace Creator
UPDATE: I did go through last night and beefed up the global tags for the first Old World Style set, adding in 'old world style' to help when pulling up tiles for libraries. Hope that helps during tile and token searching. Happy mapping everyone! Also, realizing I am not on the forums as much, please, please send me a PM through the Roll20 site if you have questions on the tiles and tokens. I do check in several times a week on the main site and should see the PM.
I love the Old World sets and have all but Chronicles, which I will get next month. Here was my first attempt at a map: I ended up using the dock/piers instead of the bridges and supports, I just couldn't seem to get the bridges and supports to look right. I check the Marketplace every few days looking for any new sets you may have released... so please continue to do so.

Edited 1422480175
Russ H.
Marketplace Creator
Thanks Jody! That is a great map! I like how you've used the docks to create the bridge over the swampy area. Great solution! I am working on another set and hope to have that up soon. Looks like you're really getting into layering features with the editor! Excellent! I love using their grouping feature when creating more complex designs - just an example of playing with grouping, re-sizing on/off-grid and layering with random library look ups to see how to fit elements together in odd ways... There is a post in the general forum here on Chronicles with several examples within the thread if you want to take a look: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1513785/trying-s" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1513785/trying-s</a>... - it also shows examples of using elements from sets you have now being used with Chronicles. (NOTE: The character tokens (The worms, goblins and Oshugun) used are from Paul Ooshun's Dungeon Buddies monster pack 1 from the marketplace here) I look forward to seeing more of your work! Cheers! Happy Mapping!
That is awesome, you've given me some ideas to work with.

Edited 1422499065
Russ H.
Marketplace Creator
Here's a few more Jody when you play with the Underground set: Here I've made a quick down and dirty underground map in the Roll20 editor (in fact, anything I post in the forums will be using the Roll20 editor) using the grid, 1/2 grid and off grid features. I've also turned, overlapped, re-sized. This is one of the reasons I made the 'ground' so muted with such strong lines for walls. Just by rotating partially, create ramps, little niches and really have some fun Take that black background away and put in the land tile, add some trees, some blood a few more Paul Ooshun's Dungeon Buddies (love those little rascals!) and you've got an above ground quarry where for some odd reason people have built a house next to: One last one: This one is playing again with the grid, 1/2-grid, and off grid, and I've started playing with layering different groupings. Again, I'm sure you've already discovered you can overlap some tiles to create mini shelves like in the center off of the left jail cell area, skinny walls, overlapping tunnels, etc.
Thanks again, I never thought of using the tiles to create depth.
Russ H.
Marketplace Creator
For you Jody, and your creative re-purposing of the dock tiles, I have named a crossing after you in a tutorial. Great idea!
Most excellent.
<a href="http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1142" rel="nofollow">http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1142</a>
PaulOoshun
Marketplace Creator
Jahn Y. I think the thing here is Russ is showing how to use his excellent pre-made map resources to quickly and easily put together a beautiful hand-drawn style map inside Roll20. No artistic ability needed, just the creative talent to experiment (like Jodie did above). Thanks for inviting some Dungeon Buddies to populate your world Russ! They look very much at home there :)

Edited 1422811709
Russ H.
Marketplace Creator
Thank you Jahn for the link, it's great link; but as Alan mentioned, this thread is to help give more ideas or answer questions when using the Old Wold Style mapping elements, especially in the Roll20 editor. And thanks Alan! - PS:are you kidding?? I just added to the wish list in the other thread! I may have to see how some anthropomorphic mice look in these sets as well! ;) Ohhhand a dragon, Alan...dragonnnn....oooooo! one more item to the list! heehee

Edited 1422849910
Russ H.
Marketplace Creator
Just throwing an idea out here and playing a bit more in the editor to see how many ways to use collective work from various artists. Once more using work from Russ Hapke , with Gabriel Pickard , and Paul Ooshun
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Awesome! Love the individual frame details!