Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
×

Problem with Hangouts+

Hi, I've been using roll20 for almost a year now and never had any major problems. Then this week I purchased a Mentor-level subscription and all hell broke loose. First, to demonstrate the dynamic lighting feature to my players, I spent considerable time setting up an inserted map with dynamic lighting elements. The map was smaller than the size of the page because I wanted to add more things to the page in play, like pictures and other handouts. It all worked great when I was experimenting with it, with the light-emitting token illuminating only up to walls both when inside the part of the map I'd lined for dynamic lighting purposes and when outside of it. Last night for the game, I went to the roll20 page and started the app in Hangouts via the link. I invited people, they came, and when I went to show them the dynamic lighting, three of the four players saw nothing but a dark gray square no matter what magnification level (either on the toolbar on on the slider) they used. The fourth player saw the whole map in its entirety, in spite of the fact that I had set it up so that the dynamic lighting should only have revealed a small portion of the map. All the players joined the same way (both the campaign and the Hangout session) so there should have been no difference in what they saw, even if they all saw nothing. So I tried to switch to a new page, but the Google Hangouts banner is now blocking access to the blue change page tab. I had to start another incidence of roll20 without Hangouts and switch the players to a new tab there, but only three of the four players saw the new page, while the fourth was stuck on the dark gray screen. In the end I had to run the whole session theater-of-the-mind, which precisely defeats the purpose of using a virtual tabletop. I tried again today from a different computer at a different site, and the exact same issues persist. Any help would be appreciated. I assume I'm doing something (or many things) dreadfully stupid and easily correctable.
1422658770

Edited 1422658820
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Gregg, For your players to see on a dynamically lit page, they need to own a token "Controlled By" player, that has the "Has Sight" option selected in the advanced tab of the Edit Token menu. There has to also be a light source for them to see by, with a light radius large enough for them to see and it can't be obstructed by lighting obstructions. Also, you want to make sure that you don't have Fog of War also turned on as well as the dynamic lighting. There are a lot of good examples of how to set up dynamic lighting on our Style Guide page. As for Google Hangouts blocking your ability to change pages, I haven't experienced that issue. Can you provide your browser information and use case?