Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Trying to work a die roll versus target number, and invoking "rule of 1"

For a Shadowrun game I'm trying to set up the attack roll as follows: [[ {(@{weaponskill}+?{Dice from Combat Pool})D6!!-(@{damage-tn-mod})-(?{TN Modifier|0})}>@{range_tn} ]] My goal is to roll a number of (exploding) D6 equal to weapon skill + dice from combat pool. These are then compared to the range target number, modified by the damage target number mod and the target number modifier. The syntax I came up with is the following: [[ {(@{weaponskill}+?{Dice from Combat Pool})D6!!-(@{damage-tn-mod})-(?{TN Modifier|0})}>@{range_tn} ]] Initially I tried to put the modifiers in the target number but that didn't work at all, so I moved them to the left side with a minus applied. This works fine EXCEPT when the total modifier equals 1-target number or lower. E.g. with a target number of 4, a total modifier of -3, all 1's rolled now equal the target number and are counted as successes. Any math wizzardry suggestions to ensure that rule of 1 is still applied? Thanks!
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Derk, is this for Shadowrun 5th edition using that character sheet? If so there are repeating section with buttons that do all the macros for you. If you're doing an older edition of Shadowrun then I'd suggest a macro like this: [[{?{Dice Pool|1}d6!!6}>?{TN|4}+?{Auto Successes|0}]] Successes

Edited 1422909002
Hi Steve, I'm not familiar with 5th edition and it looks like the mechanics are different alright. Either that, or it doesn't include e.g. health and such in the target number. So still looking for an answer :)
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Derk, I'm not going to be much help to you if you don't tell me which edition of Shadowrun you ARE playing and/or how the dice mechanics for a skill check work ;) Did my macro above not meet your needs?
Steve I thought I described in detail what I was aiming to do in the initial post? I'm using 3rd edition. I'll give it another shot hoping I'm better at getting my point across: I want to roll a number of exploding dice equal to: weapon skill + # dice from combat pool. These are compared against a target number of (range target number + damage-target-number-mod + manual-target-number-modifier). In addition to the standard math comparison I need to make sure a natural roll of 1 is never a success. It is this last part I am having issues with, everything else works fine. Variables used: Weapon skill: @{weaponskill} <-- set on the character sheet Dice from pool: ?{Dice from Combat Pool} <-- entered at the time of macro execution, as this is player's choice Range target number: @{range_tn} <-- set on the character sheet using a short-medium-long-etc drop-down Damage target number modifier: @{damage-tn-mod} <-- set on the character sheet as a result of damage sustained Manual target number modifier: ?{TN Modifier|0} <-- entered at time of macro execution, as this is circumstance driven The differences with what I'm aiming to accomplish your macro: auto successes do not apply in addition to combat pool there is also a number of dice for the player's skill with a weapon I'd like to include an automatic modifier for the player's physical and stun damage I'd like to take the base target number from a selected range - so as long as a combat is at short range that need not be re-entered every time Hope that clarifies? Again the real issue I have is preventing natural 1's being counted as successes. I may just have come up with the theoretical way to handle that, but do not yet know how to do that "in-syntax". The only moment when 1's can be counted as successes, is when the sum of the modifiers is 1-@{range-tn} or smaller. E.g. with a @{range-tn} of 3, a -2, -3, -4 etc modifier will allow 1's to count as success. Is there a way to say: "the highest of (1-@{range-tn}) and -(@{damage-tn-mod}) -(?{TN Modifier|0})" If so I could use that to limit the total modifier and prevent the 1's from being counted as a success. Or maybe there is a much sleeker way of tackling this instead of my kludge. Thanks for thinking along with this!
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Sorry Derk, not getting it. I'm not sure what "compared to" in your system means or why you're putting your modifiers where you are but if you say it's doing what you want I'll go with it. To answer your question, you can take two options and keep the highest, creating a floor for the value of your TN /r {5d6!!}>[[{@{range_tn},2}kh1]]
I think the full macro for what you are asking for would be [[ {(@{weaponskill}+?{Dice from Combat Pool})D6!!- {(1-@{range-tn}),((@{damage-tn-mod})-(?{TN Modifier|0}))}kh1 }>@{range_tn} ]] I'm not 100% sure it will work, but I think it should.
Okay thanks, looks like kh1 is what I'm looking for there. Will test it once I get home!
Roger while that is exactly what I need I can't get that to work. Guess I'll just need to manually check for the number of 1's rolled, in the extreme cases (where modifiers are too high relative to the target number)