Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

LFG [Traveller] [Star Wars FFG] [Warhammer 40k] [Star Trek] or other [Good Scifi RPG]

I've been aching for a good scifi game lately was hoping someone would be running something good. I was looking mostly at trying traveller, but id probably try some stars without numbers as well. Some new light reading has gotten me interested in warhammer 40k universe but i am new to the setting. Star trek I dont even know if they make good rpgs about. I would also play Firefly RPG in a heartbeat I have experience with star wars from FFG and have all the books. Its a fun game but ive run it more often than played it. Things I prefer in a game: Story and Roleplaying based, im okay with little combat. Has a decent ship system to allow for ship to ship combat or other challenges Psionics & FTL Travel. I fucking love exploring Mysteries and puzzles to solve. System stupidly complex or too simple. I'm looking at you FATE! The only one of these i really require is the first thing about there being a lot of roleplay.
Sounds like Rogue Trader is the game for you. Although depending on how you define stupidly complex, this might fall in that category. The Starship combat system in that game is brilliant, specifically because of its complexity. Like anything though, its all about getting used to it.
I wouldn't mind trying it! it caught me eye just never got a group for it. As long as it runs smoothly im okay with it, it cant be more complicated than shadowrun. Ive heard really good things about Rogue Trader

Edited 1424192062
Mike said: Things I prefer in a game: Story and Roleplaying based, im okay with little combat. Has a decent ship system to allow for ship to ship combat or other challenges Psionics & FTL Travel. I fucking love exploring Mysteries and puzzles to solve. System stupidly complex or too simple. I'm looking at you FATE! Traveller, Firefly, Star Trek Traveller, Rogue Trader, Star Wars, Firefly, Star Trek Traveller, Rogue Trader, Star Trek Traveller, Rogue Trader, Star Trek Firefly

Edited 1424194221
Doom said: Traveller, Firefly, Star Trek Traveller, Rogue Trader, Star Wars, Firefly, Star Trek Traveller, Rogue Trader, Star Trek Traveller, Rogue Trader, Star Trek Firefly For the most part, I'd say story and roleplaying based is more about the GM than the system, but it is true some systems place a greater emphasis on this within their content. I'd put Rogue Trader in this category, because of the rich lore not only included in the book, but in the Warhammer 40k Universe in general. Even the character creation process emphasizes character background more than many games. However, I can understand why you left it off. You have to have the right GM to make use of this. And the right group. I tried to run a Rogue Trader game a while back, but one session and it was clear these were not the right players for my game. I wanted a rich story based game, and they were all about "shoot, kill, exploding heads, stuff, thangs".
Well the long list of games also has to do with casting a wide enough net to find a fun group
Rod said: Even the character creation process emphasizes character background more than many games. However, I can understand why you left it off. You have to have the right GM to make use of this. And the right group. I tried to run a Rogue Trader game a while back, but one session and it was clear these were not the right players for my game. I wanted a rich story based game, and they were all about "shoot, kill, exploding heads, stuff, thangs". I've been in I think 10 separate RT campaigns now, probably more than that, and not one of these games didn't turn into a combat shooting murderhobo fest of death and destruction. Rogue trader is suppose to be a scifi space opera but almost always plays like a combat murder fest because that's how it comes across in the books. Also 90% of players pick backgrounds for their mechanical bonus. Intended and how it's played are the biggest difference in the world. DnD is suppose to be a story focused game with fighting and dungeon crawling, but it normally turns into murderhoboing for most games. The other games don't have a nearly as destructive play base as 40k games do. Especially Firefly and Traveller, good luck finding a game of those though.
I've found Traveller, as much as I like it, to have the opposite problem of the 'combat shooting murderhobofest of death and destruction'. Doom, thank you for that hilarious expression by the way. Traveller games sometimes feel really slow especially because everyone who plays seems to be predisposed to ridiculously convoluted plans of action. I'm a big believer in looking at all possible solutions to a given scenario, but sometimes direct combat is the best and/or only solution.