Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .

The new D&D 2024 sheet is now available!

Create a free account

3D Dice question

I thought that 3D dice was just a visual representation of the random number generator. The wiki says that it uses a physics engine to figure it out. Do you guys know which is true?
A little of both. The initial throw vector, speed and rotation are pulled from the RNG then the physics engine simulates the roll and where the dice finally end up is the result.
My friend swears that the tokens on the board influence the dice.  For example he sometimes sees the dice bounce off a token, and he demands a re-roll due to interference.  Could a friendly member of the Roll20 Mod Team confirm that he's full of it?  :) thanks!
I highly doubt that, Luke. If you scroll the dice move up and down with you, so that would make what he's saying pretty impossible. Plus, that's one of the most annoying aspects of in person tabletop RPGs, I don't know why they would bring that to online.
Haha I know, right!  I whole heartedly agree.  I would really love someone from the Mod Team to say he's wrong so that I can simply post a link to the thread in chat.   
Gid
Roll20 Team
The dice run atop everything on the board. Tokens aren't 3D objects. They lack a physics shell to factor collision. The only things that have physics applied to them are the dice models, a "floor" or "table" physics shape that the dice roll atop of, and the edges of the tabletop portion of Roll20 are treated as physics walls. Note: I'm not talking about the edges of the playable space, but the entirety of this portion of this screen that the tabletop inhabits. If you zoom out to 10% and roll some 3D dice, you'll notice they will roll completely outside of the actual playable space.
Seen it happen loads of times.  Thought it was kind of "neat" that the table interfered with items just like a real tabletop.  Seen them stop dead like hitting a wall... 
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
I made a short video of dice rolling with and without a token on the map. You can see that the mini has no impact on the dice physics of the dice rolls on roll20
Gid
Roll20 Team
Gary L. said: Seen them stop dead like hitting a wall...  When a 3D die stops dead on the middle of a table, it's due to a lack of the required energy needed to continue a roll. The 3D dice aren't going to roll like standard gaming dice (unless you're using something like Game Science Precision Dice) due to their edges and points being perfectly sharp. These sharp sides create more friction which steals the needed energy that keeps the die rolling. If you have standard RPG dice, look at the edges on one of them. They're going to be very soft. This is due to the tumbling process used to make them which gets rid of the mold flashing and the numbers painted. The soft edges on RL dice make them roll a lot further because they generate a lot less friction. As I said, there are no physic shells to the 2D items on the tabletop. They do not affect the 3D dice in any fashion.
AWESOME ... thanks for the explanation, Kristin, and nice demonstration, Metroknight.
Is there any way to incorporate Fate or Fudge dice into the dice roller?
Torolf said: Is there any way to incorporate Fate or Fudge dice into the dice roller? It exists, just not in the 3d dice.