Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Skype Interference on heavy maps?

I've been doing games on roll20 for awhile now, mostly using Skype for communication, and we've having sound interferences once in awhile (we call them Piggy Snores). I've tried testing Skype, checking forums about it, even tried Curse Voice to see if Skype was the problem, but even with Curse voice, we could hear those "piggies". I was finally able to find the cause of these interferences: it seems that when we are moving tokens on really heavy graphic maps, the sounds trigger more often, especially if we scroll the map when its size is too big(even after shrinking it). Most of the time, we are a group of 4 or 5 players when using Skype, so maybe it has to impact on the problem. And unfortunately, most of my map are heavy with tokens, but I mean really heavy, like minimum 3 layers of background, lots of tokens having multiple sides, so heavily using rollable tables for those. I also use the soundtrack features a lot too. So does anyone knows why these interferences comes from, or did I nailed it right after all? If so, I'm guessing reducing the "weight" of my maps would solve the problem, which will be quite impossible for my games and setting, but oh well...
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I feel your pain, i tend to use quite large and 'heavy' maps myself. Due to bandwidth issues we are also limited to using roll20 voice only chat which as everyone knows has its problems. (disclaimer: I know roll20 don't manage the chat system so no blame lands at their feet, i love them all). What i do is limit things where i can. I make my maps in external programs and put everything on it at that stage that doesn't require an interactive element (all the set dressing etc) so that i'm only uploading 1 jpeg image for the bulk of the map. That way when i load it up with tokens, interactive doors, chests and switches i'm not adding too much overall. We still get loading issues when switching maps at times but i've noticed a lot less issues with chatting as a result. Sorry i can't be more help but i'll be keeping an eye on your thread to see what others do :)
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Dr Van Hauten, Have you tried totally disabling the sound/camera in roll20 to see if that removes the problem? It seems to me like a sound event is being triggered which could exist outside of roll20 itself but I'm not sure. Standard rule of operation we have is to run through the steps 1-3 from <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Solving_Technical_Issues" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Solving_Technical_Issues</a> and post a complete console log which is step 4. We also have a wiki page for audio/visual troubleshooting that you could look at. I'm going to move this post down to the bugs& technical issues forum so that more eyes look at your post and be able to help you solve this.

Edited 1425145609
That would be nice, thanks! I do disable the camera and sound when I play, so the problem seems to be outside of roll20, unless it really has an issue with the "heavy" maps we talked Ziechael and I earlier... Well, for now it's not that game breaking, so I'll keep an eye and ear on things. I'll give the Tech Issue a lookie as well, when I've got some free time to dig deeper into this! Thanks again!