Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Ping ? What's that ?

I see "Ping" mentioned here and there but still don't get what it refers to exactly. What does it mean ? Thanks
In most games Ping(ms) refers to your connection to other players a Good ping is 50-120 anything higher than that creates Lag or a delay between actions and movement. e.g. in League of legends online if you have 1000 Ping(ms) their is a 3sec delay between your click and your character responding to that click. But in this Game it can also refer to player using the ping option in game where they click on spot and a circle will appear on the spot and get larger. this is a good way to show who you are attacking or point to a location of interest
Ok, I knew about the ping about online games but was not getting what it refers to in Roll20. Ok, so this it that blue circle when you click somewhere, got it, thanks.
The color of the circle is different, depending on the color attributed to the player (or GM). Your color is visible next to your name on the bottom of the screen (and you can change it).
thanks patrick
Kevin is right, but the reason for being labeled as such, here is this definition of ping: ping [pɪŋ] n a short high-pitched resonant sound, as of a bullet striking metal or a sonar echo Watch any naval battle movies or submarine movies? Before submarine's had all their hi-tech navigation of today, they were able to tell distance, by sending out an echo (a ping) towards an object, which reflects back telling them the distance based upon length in time, similar to what a dolphin does.
Gid
Roll20 Team
I'd like to add, that as the GM, if you hold down the shift key and ping on the map, this will force your player's view to pan over to this location. This is very helpful if you have a big dungeon map. When you load a map, the view is automatically set to the upper left hand corner. If you got the Fog of War on, that area might be completely hidden and your players will be greeted with the black abyss of nothingness. Shift ping leads your players to where their tokens are on the map and the fog has been lifted.
I'd like to add, that as the GM, if you hold down the shift key and ping on the map, this will force your player's view to pan over to this location. This is very helpful if you have a big dungeon map. When you load a map, the view is automatically set to the upper left hand corner. If you got the Fog of War on, that area might be completely hidden and your players will be greeted with the black abyss of nothingness. Shift ping leads your players to where their tokens are on the map and the fog has been lifted. Hey, I had not realised it. Seems indeed very useful.
Wow, thanks Kristin, indeed a very good to know tip !