Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

WebRTC Automatic Gain Control

Nick S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Translator
Hello! I normally play with Skype so it's not an issue, but I recently realized that when I'm using Roll20's WebRTC solution for audio/video, it constantly changes the gain/level on my microphone and makes it so everything is audible in my room, as opposed to the perfect gain needed I manually put in there. Is there a way to disable that feature, or to prevent it from doing so? I'm using Windows 8.1 and Chrome. Thanks!
Gold
Forum Champion
I have not seen any kind of level controls like that on the WebRTC. Just the idea of muting your mic (on WebRTC or on your computer) when not speaking, I understand that is not quite what you want and doesn't perfectly resolve it, but would help to eliminate WebRTC from picking up background sounds when you are not speaking.
Nick S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Translator
Unfortunately it doesn't (but thanks for the suggestion!), because it changes the gain as soon as I log in or unmute again (and by a lot!) which is very frustrating. I did find the following software that someone mentioned helps with that issue, but I'd rather find a more simple and free alternative. ( <a href="http://www.actualsolution.com/download/" rel="nofollow">http://www.actualsolution.com/download/</a> ) Thanks!
This is (unfortunately) something that is baked into the WebRTC spec at the browser level. So unless Chrome adds an option to disable it there's nothing we can do I'm afraid. I think it's useful most of the time but I can see how sometimes it could be very annoying :\.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Riley D. said: This is (unfortunately) something that is baked into the WebRTC spec at the browser level. So unless Chrome adds an option to disable it there's nothing we can do I'm afraid. I think it's useful most of the time but I can see how sometimes it could be very annoying :\. FYI readers: That's the bosses 'test' account... busy people sometimes forget to change back to their God account ;)
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
I was going to suggest that Riley should upgrade to Mentor...
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Vince said: I was going to suggest that Riley should upgrade to Mentor... Probably a finance issue, i've heard he sank all of his money into a 'shot in the dark' investment opportunity and it's still unsure whether or not it will pay off ;)