Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Rollable Tables: Results are rolls?

Is it possible to have the results of a rollable table be rolls? For example, I want a rollable table like this: Weight 3: 2D4 + 2 Stirges Weight 7: 1D6 + 3 Goblins etc. this way, I can replicate random encounter tables. Now, would it be possible to automatically make these rolls, so that I only get the result ("7 Stirges" instead of "2D4 + 2 Stirges") ?
I haven't tried it, but you might put it as "[[1d6+3]] goblins"

Edited 1426080185
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I don't think rollable tables can generate rolls as such... i think you'd have to set up weighted entries to represent the variations you'd like to see (so 1 Goblin, 2 goblins all the way to 9 goblins and repeat with 2-10 stirges and weight them appropriately). Hopefully i'll be proven wrong but i haven't found a way to get rollable tables to generate rolls yet...

Edited 1426077771
"I haven't tried it, but you might put it as "[[1d6+3]] goblins"" Doesn't seem to work sadly "I don't rollable tables can generate rolls as such... i think you'd have to set up weighted entries to represent the variations you'd like to see (so 1 Goblin, 2 goblins all the way to 9 goblins and repeat with 2-10 stirges and weight them appropriately). Hopefully i'll be proven wrong but i haven't found a way to get rollable tables to generate rolls yet..." Well, damn.... Would be a nice feature, especially since you could make collapsing tables (One table for "Does an encounter happen or not", if so, roll on the table if it is a combat encounter or not, if so, roll on the encounter table, etc.) Of course, there could be problems with stuff like that (looping tables i.e.)
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
There is a suggestion to include text in card decks, it is my belief that it could easily be extended to rollable tables too if you have any votes? ;) allow-text-inside-card-decks
You could make a full list; i.e. put 3 wolves, 4 wolves, 5 wolves, and 6 wolves instead of 1d4+2 wolves, but that would require re-balancing the table using the various weights. Using the table of above, the ogre and owlbear would need a weight of 24, each of the the orc, wolf and hobgoblin entries would need weights of 6, each goblin entry would need a weight of 4, and the strige entries would need a weight of 3. If all of the above has the same weight on the table already. This approach a would need a lot of work.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
I should probably point out that such can be done via the API (a mentor level feature).
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
The Aaron said: I should probably point out that such can be done via the API (a mentor level feature). I didn't want to say as i'm keen to have none API rollable tables that can make rolls ;)
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Ziechael said: The Aaron said: I should probably point out that such can be done via the API (a mentor level feature). I didn't want to say as i'm keen to have none API rollable tables that can make rolls ;) Me too! But in the interim, I like to provide solutions. =D
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
The Aaron said: Ziechael said: The Aaron said: I should probably point out that such can be done via the API (a mentor level feature). I didn't want to say as i'm keen to have none API rollable tables that can make rolls ;) Me too! But in the interim, I like to provide solutions. =D Where-as I'm more of a provide problems kind of guy... but like Good vs Evil, you need people like me =P
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
=D
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Back on topic though, Krampus, if you are GMing then there is a lot to be said for taking Mentor status . Not just the benefits of being able to transfer your campaign information from one campaign to the next, use dynamic lighting and such but with API in your toolkit there is essentially nothing you can't do (or nothing people like Aaron can't help you do...). The biggest bonus is that your players benefit from your membership within the confines of your campaign too!

Edited 1426090008
Ziechael said: Back on topic though, Krampus, if you are GMing then there is a lot to be said for taking Mentor status . Not just the benefits of being able to transfer your campaign information from one campaign to the next, use dynamic lighting and such but with API in your toolkit there is essentially nothing you can't do (or nothing people like Aaron can't help you do...). The biggest bonus is that your players benefit from your membership within the confines of your campaign too! I am already thinking about it, but currently I'm not really GMing a lot via roll20.net, just one group. And I don't want to invest a lot of money for one group, that may end after 2-3 months. Edit: Thanks John W., I already figured out how to rebalance the table, and decided that it's not worth the work, and that I'm going to roll every time there actually is an encounter (Above table is already weighted btw, the stirges encounter has a weight of 2, just FYI)
Figured. I just took a quick look and the gears turned and I wanted to figure out the math of balance that particular table. But, glad you found your answer, as unhelpful as it was