Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

3/10: Update of Holding is LIVE!

Falcon
Pro
Sheet Author
yeah - just double checked - it doesn't like the () - so it doesn't work - get a syntax error.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Black Falcon said: yeah - just double checked - it doesn't like the () - so it doesn't work - get a syntax error. Damn, have been following your exploits... eager to exploit your findings lol!
Riley D. said: Askren said: It may just be me, but I'm trying out the image thing in chat, as I would love to be able to send images to my players from my dropbox without having to drop links they have to click through. However, when I post this: [Beau](<a href="https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30497230/Beau.png" rel="nofollow">https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30497230/Beau.png</a>) What I get is this first example in Steven's image, a named hyperlink and not the embedded image. Am I missing something here? The "functionality" of trying to load that image is working, as when I do it I see a "broken image" icon and a box around the text (as opposed to just text). Looking at my Network Log, it looks like Dropbox in particular doesn't like our image proxy attempting to proxy the call (which we do for security reasons). So basically this request is failing to load: <a href="http://imgsrv.roll20.net:5100/?src=dl.dropboxuserc" rel="nofollow">http://imgsrv.roll20.net:5100/?src=dl.dropboxuserc</a>... I'll see if I can fix the proxy, but in the mean time you can put the image on another host (like Imgur) and it should work fine. This should be working now.
I've just pushed out an update that should make it much easier to put items into empty/new folders. Let me know if that helps.
Falcon
Pro
Sheet Author
Ziechael said: Black Falcon said: yeah - just double checked - it doesn't like the () - so it doesn't work - get a syntax error. Damn, have been following your exploits... eager to exploit your findings lol! Yeah - so far I haven't heard anything so most likely they are trying to figure it out. I trust Riley and team have it on their list and are working on it. :)
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Black Falcon said: Ziechael said: Black Falcon said: yeah - just double checked - it doesn't like the () - so it doesn't work - get a syntax error. Damn, have been following your exploits... eager to exploit your findings lol! Yeah - so far I haven't heard anything so most likely they are trying to figure it out. I trust Riley and team have it on their list and are working on it. :) That's the beauty of roll20, it's either impossible and someone will say so pretty quickly or it is possible and someone will provide a solution in a short space of time. Gotta love this pro-active community/development team! :)

Edited 1426211723
Ada L.
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Love these updates. In a Fallout-themed game I'm running, I'm using the new chat markups in a Message of the Day script I modified. Whenever a player joins the game, it shows them a random propaganda poster with their MotD.

Edited 1426221629
Steve K. said: Black Falcon said: That works (thank you) for rolls but if I already have it in an inline roll (such as in a macro or character sheet) how would I do it? You cannot nest inline rolls. If that's an important feature for you I'd suggest upvoting it in the Suggestions and Ideas forum. This is actually really important for systems that use dice pools, like Shadowrun, or any system where damage depends on the number of hits. Since Roll20's order of operations is so funky, inline rolls currently do what parentheses should be doing, which is force the contents to go first in the order of operations. For dice pools, since the calculations for determining the dice pool's size can get complex, you might need inline rolls to force them to be calculated first before rolling them in a dice pool (which itself might need to be factored into a damage roll, for an all-in-one macro). The ability to temporarily store a variable and refer to it later in the same macro, like having {{attack= [[1d20]] }} and being able to refer to the result as {attack}, would also make things significantly better and tidier, allowing for macros like "Hero hits 4 times for a total of 19 damage!" More math functions in general would be nice too, like being able to find square roots and logarithms and all the other stuff the math library would normally let someone do. It'd make stuff like handling GURPS's range formula automatically much easier without requiring anyone to flip to the range table. It'd also let a hypothetical Roll20-only system to use more complicated math on the assumption that human players will never need to actually know the real formula but instead just get results after clicking a macro button.
@Black Falcon Okay, so I tried my hand at a solution for you, and my apologies, I did not discover one for you. However what I discovered is as follows: Assume @{Crit} is always equal to 19 to represent a longsword and @{Keen} always is 2 to represent the doubled threat range. [[1d20cs&gt;@{Crit}-@{Keen}]] The roll functions and produces 1d20-2 when you hover over the result, and if you roll a 19-20 is bordering the roll for a crit properly. [[1d20cs&gt;(@{Crit}-@{Keen})]] The roll fails and produces the could not determine result error, citing the required. this also occurs using {}.or placing the opening ( or { before the cs marker. The problem you're experiencing is that when the CS has an &gt; or &lt; added after it, it is being treated as a completed roll after the first whole number placed after the &gt; or &lt; marker and the rest that is added to the roll result. It seems to me this may be by design to even allow the CF/CS markers to work. They would either have to allow for nested inlines ( prays to the RNG and the entire staff of Roll20 ) or add another roll markup designation to encapsulate the math for the target number that comes after the CS&gt; or CS&lt;. A workaround would be to simply record the totaled crit range under @{Crit-WeaponName} and then add in the rest of your desired roll. For example: [[1d20cs&gt;{@Crit-Longsword} + @{ATK}]] in this example @{Crit-Longsword} would be equal to 17 and @{ATK} to 5 which would produce a roll of 1d20+5 which would display a green border around the inline total of 22 or higher.
Falcon
Pro
Sheet Author
DJ said: @Black Falcon A workaround would be to simply record the totaled crit range under @{Crit-WeaponName} and then add in the rest of your desired roll. For example: [[1d20cs&gt;{@Crit-Longsword} + @{ATK}]] in this example @{Crit-Longsword} would be equal to 17 and @{ATK} to 5 which would produce a roll of 1d20+5 which would display a green border around the inline total of 22 or higher. Aha! DJ so you are exactly where I am at in the understanding of things. the problem could be solved if @{Crit-Longsword} was a single number but due to derivative abilities and other math that is done on a character sheet it is rare that a single number represents a number or a crit. For my Star Frontiers game the crit is 05 + @{skill_Level}. (using percentage dice and the lower the better). My issue is that ANY math whether in a character sheet or typed in directly does not work due to the issue you listed so eloquently above. I could make every skill have a critical number that is hand typed but that would be insane. hmmm - I have an idea I want to try to see if it works but I have a feeling it won't. I could make an attribute with [[ ]] inline built in...
Falcon
Pro
Sheet Author
I just created this in the suggestions forum... NESTED INLINE ROLLS - VOTE HERE
Black Falcon said: DJ said: @Black Falcon A workaround would be to simply record the totaled crit range under @{Crit-WeaponName} and then add in the rest of your desired roll. For example: [[1d20cs&gt;{@Crit-Longsword} + @{ATK}]] in this example @{Crit-Longsword} would be equal to 17 and @{ATK} to 5 which would produce a roll of 1d20+5 which would display a green border around the inline total of 22 or higher. Aha! DJ so you are exactly where I am at in the understanding of things. the problem could be solved if @{Crit-Longsword} was a single number but due to derivative abilities and other math that is done on a character sheet it is rare that a single number represents a number or a crit. For my Star Frontiers game the crit is 05 + @{skill_Level}. (using percentage dice and the lower the better). My issue is that ANY math whether in a character sheet or typed in directly does not work due to the issue you listed so eloquently above. I could make every skill have a critical number that is hand typed but that would be insane. hmmm - I have an idea I want to try to see if it works but I have a feeling it won't. I could make an attribute with [[ ]] inline built in... I see, so you are stumped at the same wall as me only with a far more complex system. Sirrah, you flatter me. I've already long since voted. Ironically I found your inquiry here through your suggestion there and realized it after the fact.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Black Falcon said: DJ said: @Black Falcon A workaround would be to simply record the totaled crit range under @{Crit-WeaponName} and then add in the rest of your desired roll. For example: [[1d20cs&gt;{@Crit-Longsword} + @{ATK}]] in this example @{Crit-Longsword} would be equal to 17 and @{ATK} to 5 which would produce a roll of 1d20+5 which would display a green border around the inline total of 22 or higher. Aha! DJ so you are exactly where I am at in the understanding of things. the problem could be solved if @{Crit-Longsword} was a single number but due to derivative abilities and other math that is done on a character sheet it is rare that a single number represents a number or a crit. For my Star Frontiers game the crit is 05 + @{skill_Level}. (using percentage dice and the lower the better). My issue is that ANY math whether in a character sheet or typed in directly does not work due to the issue you listed so eloquently above. I could make every skill have a critical number that is hand typed but that would be insane. hmmm - I have an idea I want to try to see if it works but I have a feeling it won't. I could make an attribute with [[ ]] inline built in... Cheers DJ and Black Falcon, i run a 3.5 campaign and fortunately the crit number is just a single value there so using @{selected|critnumber}, or whatever it is called when i get into my campaign, i'll be able to make my attack macros automatically updated should they change weapons instead of having to do it manually! Yippeee and sorry to rub it in. Thanks for the research/testing though and i'll be using one of my last 2 votes on your suggestion as i have various other ways that nested inlines would be a benefit!
When I popout a character sheet, it just displays as blank. (Firefox, using the 5e charsheets, Adblock is off, if it matters.) And this is the thing I've been looking forward to most!
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Boko D. said: When I popout a character sheet, it just displays as blank. (Firefox, using the 5e charsheets, Adblock is off, if it matters.) And this is the thing I've been looking forward to most! Hi Boko, might be worth keeping an eye on this thread in which some people have reported similar problems but in the bug forum.
Cool, thanks! (I can never find anything in these forums.)
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Ha! There is a knack to it certainly.... helps that i spend almost every waking hour scouring them for things to steal for my campaign development ;)

Edited 1426268991
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Boko, if you are ever in doubt where to post something, preface it with not sure where to post it, in the specific question forum. You will either have someone suggest where you need to repost your question or one of us mods or a dev will move it to the proper forum. The key thing is make it an individual post so eyes will spot it and it can get an informed response instead of it getting buried in a semi related thread.
On the API Button... maybe I'm just not reading it right, or I am not that skilled yet in all of this, but here is what I am getting. I love the button, that's very cool, love the look. What I am trying to do, is simply give a button that says "Attack Roll" or whatever, and when you click that button, makes a roll. For instance: [Attack Roll](/roll 7d10&gt;7) When I do this, instead of the button, it turns "Attack Roll" into a link, that when pressed, sends me to another webpage that gives me a 404 error. Hoping someone could help me out, with a little patience and point me in the right direction to get this figure out. Thank you.

Edited 1426358231
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Darius S. said: On the API Button... maybe I'm just not reading it right, or I am not that skilled yet in all of this, but here is what I am getting. I love the button, that's very cool, love the look. What I am trying to do, is simply give a button that says "Attack Roll" or whatever, and when you click that button, makes a roll. For instance: [Attack Roll](/roll 7d10&gt;7) When I do this, instead of the button, it turns "Attack Roll" into a link, that when pressed, sends me to another webpage that gives me a 404 error. Hoping someone could help me out, with a little patience and point me in the right direction to get this figure out. Thank you. Darius I think if you post your question in the API forums, you will get many coders to see your question there.
With the cs&gt;10 and cf&lt;6, I am sad it won't count dice together. For Dungeon World, a failure is 2d6 added together, and then 6 or lower. A full success is 2d6 added together and then 10+. I was thinking I could do this with /r 2d6cs&gt;10cf&lt;6, but then I realised criticals are per dice , not per dicegroup .
Is it possible to "overwrite" the ToolTips that are displayed as part of the Inline Dice Rolls? I love everything else about this, but, I had a system where I built the inline dice rolls manually using an HTML &lt;span&gt;, and set the ToolTips to show the value of each "type" of bonus (i.e., ability mod, enhancement, certain Feats) that went into the roll.
Sarjenka, you can add comments in inline die rolls. [[1d6 [Comment] ]]
Oh. Thanks! (P.S. Thanks again for the PowerCard script, I guess all of this is based on what you started! )
I just pushed out a small update which further refines the way that the 3D Dice work. Now when you roll 3D Dice, the display of the 3D roll will correctly only show to those who can see the final roll result. So if you whisper a roll to the GM, only the sender and the GM would see the 3D Dice roll on the tabletop. In addition, we now better support the 3D Dice with inline rolls, so when you execute a command with inline rolls (for example, using the new roll templates, a whisper, etc.) the chat message will display immediately, but the inline roll dice boxes will be blank. Then after the 3D Dice have rolled, the values will appear. Again, this is just to add an additional layer of "suspense" to the rolling. Let me know if see any issues with that. Thanks!
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Riley D. said: I just pushed out a small update which further refines the way that the 3D Dice work. Now when you roll 3D Dice, the display of the 3D roll will correctly only show to those who can see the final roll result. So if you whisper a roll to the GM, only the sender and the GM would see the 3D Dice roll on the tabletop. In addition, we now better support the 3D Dice with inline rolls, so when you execute a command with inline rolls (for example, using the new roll templates, a whisper, etc.) the chat message will display immediately, but the inline roll dice boxes will be blank. Then after the 3D Dice have rolled, the values will appear. Again, this is just to add an additional layer of "suspense" to the rolling. Let me know if see any issues with that. Thanks! A very nice "small update". Thanks for this.
Riley D. said: I just pushed out a small update which further refines the way that the 3D Dice work. Now when you roll 3D Dice, the display of the 3D roll will correctly only show to those who can see the final roll result. So if you whisper a roll to the GM, only the sender and the GM would see the 3D Dice roll on the tabletop. In addition, we now better support the 3D Dice with inline rolls, so when you execute a command with inline rolls (for example, using the new roll templates, a whisper, etc.) the chat message will display immediately, but the inline roll dice boxes will be blank. Then after the 3D Dice have rolled, the values will appear. Again, this is just to add an additional layer of "suspense" to the rolling. Let me know if see any issues with that. Thanks! Now I have a reason to actually use 3D dice! It's pretty cool to see a bucket of d6's fly everywhere, even if I have no clue which ones go to which roll. I can imagine it being enjoyable in d20 systems, though.
Awesome, now I can use 3D dice again as a GM! Thank you!
Small quibble, in the future can you not embed animated gifs in articles? It makes it very hard to read the article.
Thank you so much!

Edited 1427164787
Request that d100 is added to 3D-dice . (Didn't see this asked/answered elsewhere - apologies if this is a well-worn question/request...) Does anyone know why d100 has always been excluded from 3D dice and why it's not included in the big 3D dice update? (Great job R20 on this latest update, by the way - the /talktomyself alone is something that will immediately be very useful for me.)

Edited 1427592000
Gold
Forum Champion
Steve K. said: 1) The syntax of "[Google]( <a href="http://www.google.com" rel="nofollow">http://www.google.com</a> )" will be translated by Roll20 to create a hyperlink called an &lt;a&gt; tag or anchor tag. It will display the word Google and if you click on it, it will take you to google.com. Can you make the hyperlinks in the chatroom be underlined, or blue , or something to indicate it's a link ? Right now the hyperlink is appearing as unstyled plain-text, which doesn't look clickable until you mouseover it.
Polite Request - Provide an option for "GM roll" on the Chat page of the iPad app. Right now if I hit the re-roll button next to prior roll, it is transmitted to everyone. But sometimes I need a "GM roll" and the only way to do that currently is to type in the /gr command in the chat box.
Gold
Forum Champion
@ Michael, consider asking your iPad app question in the new app subforum, <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/category/525715" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/category/525715</a> It's not misplaced here since this is the Update Of Holding thread. Just wanted to let you know there is a subthread specifically for the tablet apps.
Hi guys! Really appreciate the last update, thank you, it was spectacular! I found one feature that restricts usage of the /talktomyself function. I had an idea of making an interactive map for my campaign. The general idea is to add token actions with the text description to the tokens representing locations, so the players can select a token, click on a button and read the description in the chat window. But I would like to remove this text from the chat history and make it invisible for the players who do not use the map. But, unfortunately, the macros: /talktomyself [description] /talktomyself off don’t show anything between “/talktomyself “ and “/talktomyself off”. I tried to include rolls, templates, /em commands, other macros, tables, and none of that works. Could you please fix this issue? I think it can impove the roll20 experience a lot! Thank you!
Open Table DM said: Hi guys! Really appreciate the last update, thank you, it was spectacular! I found one feature that restricts usage of the /talktomyself function. I had an idea of making an interactive map for my campaign. The general idea is to add token actions with the text description to the tokens representing locations, so the players can select a token, click on a button and read the description in the chat window. But I would like to remove this text from the chat history and make it invisible for the players who do not use the map. But, unfortunately, the macros: /talktomyself [description] /talktomyself off don’t show anything between “/talktomyself “ and “/talktomyself off”. I tried to include rolls, templates, /em commands, other macros, tables, and none of that works. Could you please fix this issue? I think it can impove the roll20 experience a lot! Thank you! If the tokens are linked to a character sheet that they have read access to, they should be able to shift + double-left-click the token to bring up the character sheet, where they can presumably read the bio/description of whatever it is along with a nice big picture. Of course, shift + double-left-click is hardly intuitive, I have no idea why right click -&gt; View Character Sheet isn't used. You can also try whispering something to yourself, but there's no "me" that I know of so you can't make it generic for all your players. Something as simple as "/w me" working would probably do what you're asking for nicely.
You can also try whispering something to yourself, but there's no "me" that I know of so you can't make it generic for all your players. Something as simple as "/w me" working would probably do what you're asking for nicely. This was my first thought... I hope someday this "me" will appear.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
One thing that can be done (outside of the mentor feature of API) is to create a description token and upload it, add it somewhere in the room, possibly using transparency to avoid ruining your map, and keep it 1 unit in size. The players can then select the token a use the 'z' key to enlarge it.. read the description... the move on with their lives without cluttering chat. Alternatively you could set your macro up to have the following as a token action: /w @{target|token_name} stuff with stuff being the description set in an ability on the tokens character sheet? Then the players can select the token action and select their token as the target to whisper the description to themselves...
Thanks, I like the ideas!