Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

3.5 Character Sheet suggestions

My D&D group has been using Diana's 3.5 Character Sheet ever since it was available, and well... there's been a few minor issues that we've been wondering about having addressed... First is the lack of a Dodge bonus field in AC calculations... Since Dodge bonuses are linked to Dex for determining Flatfooted AC the lack of such a field results in askewed Flatfoot AC results... For most this isn't a major issue since most characters only get +1 or +2 dodge bonus to AC, but when people are playing characters such as Monks, Battle Dancers, Swashbucklers, ect... that get a dodge bonus based on their primary ability mod, then this becomes more concerning. A character's Flatfoot AC may read +15 or so higher than it should without a proper dodge bonus modifier. Secondly, it would be very handy to have an option to set various macros as token actions... Prime examples being Saves, Weapons, and Ability Checks Third, Spell/Power Points... With the current Spell/Power section, a psionic character or anyone using the Spell Points system has to create a new attribute for keeping track of their Point total... this is rather frustrating when the player realizes they forgot to create the attribute until after 90% of their sheet is filled out and has to manually bring the new attribute to the top of their list for easy access, only to have it randomly move back to the middle of the list any time the DM opens their character sheet or the character sheet is updated. Fourth, Arcane/Divine Spell Focus... while there aren't any actual "Spell Focus" feats for specifically Arcane or Divine spells, there are however class features and items that provide an identical bonus to these. Perhaps a Misc Spell Focus or two would be a good addition as well. Finally, this one isn't an actual issue anymore but would still be a nice addition... Ability Check Bonus... not every bonus to Abilities affect the Ability Score, there are some that only apply to Ability Checks... As of the most recent update this particular issue can be solved by adding the bonus into the ability check macro itself, an option that was previously not available.

Edited 1426232948
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Chell said: Secondly, it would be very handy to have an option to set various macros as token actions... Prime examples being Saves, Weapons, and Ability Checks You can do this already, sort of. Create an ability (or a macro) with the name you want. For the ability/macro's body, set it to the ability of the roll button you want to use as a token action. For example, in my 4e campaign on my character "Barases", I have an ability with the text "%{Barases|-power-3}" which corresponds to the macro body of my third power, Eldritch Blast. (My first two are Melee Basic Attack and Ranged Basic Attack.) You can then mark the ability or macro as a token action as normal.
Brian said: Chell said: Secondly, it would be very handy to have an option to set various macros as token actions... Prime examples being Saves, Weapons, and Ability Checks You can do this already, sort of. Create an ability (or a macro) with the name you want. For the ability/macro's body, set it to the ability of the roll button you want to use as a token action. For example, in my 4e campaign on my character "Barases", I have an ability with the text "%{Barases|-power-3}" which corresponds to the macro body of my third power, Eldritch Blast. (My first two are Melee Basic Attack and Ranged Basic Attack.) You can then mark the ability or macro as a token action as normal. Yea, I'm currently doing that as is... however It would be nice to have it as an included function on the sheet itself is all...
Diana P
Pro
Sheet Author
I do not know of any way to put an option in to allow token actions to be indicated on the character sheet itself. The token action flag is a class in the html code that is applied to the button and I don't know any way to switch things like that out on the fly. As a result, anything I might apply the token action class to, becomes a token action for every token for everyone using the character sheet. And since everyone has their own ideas on what they want as token action, at this point in time, initiative is the only roll that I plan on having that applied to. My group makes their own abilities to get token actions or pulls the buttons down to their macro bar (which won't work for the spells or custom skills since those are repeating sections). If I can figure out how to set the token action class on the fly sometime in the future, I will certainly add that functionality to the sheet. I have tried to keep the sheet as close to the rules as spelled out in the SRD as I can. Mentors can take the code from GitHub (the current version of the 3.5 code can be found here: <a href="https://github.com/Roll20/roll20-character-sheets" rel="nofollow">https://github.com/Roll20/roll20-character-sheets</a>... ) and modify it to their own preferences and use it as a custom sheet if they desire. That being said, the reason dodge is not included as an option for AC is because from what I have found in the SRD, dodge is applied to only one enemy at a time so it didn't make sense to me to include it as an option for the standard AC (in our group we just tell the GM which enemy the dodge is applied to; the GM's attack macros can then take that into account). Is there something I have missed? Hm. Spell focus. Are all of the sections being used and additional needed? What if I adjust the 'names' in the spell focus section so that you can name them anything you want like the titles for the spell sections? The name used to call them (ie @{sf-abjuration}) won't change, but the label you see could be different. I'll work on adding a box for power points / day. It will probably end up near the spell focus section. Maybe I can figure out a way to check a box and make the spells/day go away and power points/day show up for folks who use power points instead of spells/day, but no guarantees. And last, allowing custom modifiers for ability checks is exactly why I added the option to modify those macros. I'm not going to add a query in by default, but obviously you can modify that for your sheet.
Dodge the FEAT is only applied to one enemy at a time, dodge on an armor or weapon is applied in a manner similiar to DEX bonus. At least, if I am recalling it correctly. Power Points are a nightmare, I've done those manually for some npcs.. and the problem I run into often times is the fact that they need a LOT of roll queries. I DESPISE roll queries except for very specific and limited circumstances. As for keeping track of them on the character sheet, my advice is to create a new "tab" and use that tab for spells and psionics. On that tab have a radio button that can switch between spells and psionics. I know people may not like all that tabbing but, honestly its the best way to handle it without having the screen get cluttered. Or you can wait till I fully update my character sheet, once I do I'll be adding alot of tabs and switching around, hidden sections. And if I can find someone from Hero Labs, I would love to add an API support for Hero Labs character creation import. Pathfinder (Legacy) sheet has an import api but 3.5 does not, of course this is all dependent on Diana's plans, as I do not wish to seem like I am trying to take away from her project. (As I see it we have similar, but different interests. I like lots of detail, and full automation, she seems to like simplicity.) And those ideals appeal to different groups in the community. On a thought, if I could add a suggestion, possibly add a check box for armor and shield to indicate if the armor and shield is actually being worn.
Diana P
Pro
Sheet Author
Ok. I'll try and squeeze a box in for dodge somewhere then. Probably by making the rest of the AC boxes a little smaller. Hopefully there's enough room in there. Toby, one thing you could do is submit it as an alternate sheet for 3.5. Several of the other games (pathfinder, Gurps, Savage worlds, etc) have a couple of versions of the sheets out there. That would allow people to choose which they wanted to use. :) And choice is always good. My plan for the power points right now is to go with paper sheet simplicity (I like simplicity :D). It'll be a split field with an area for current and for max. You would want the check box to zero out the armor and shield calculation if not worn? I could do that. Now just to figure out where to put the check box....
Much appreciated ^-^ The spell focus one isn't really a big deal... and regarding the ability checks, like i mentioned it's not really a problem anymore since your latest update added the macro field to them. The two biggest things are Dodge & Power/Spell Points... As Toby clarified already there are sources of permanent dodge as well as class features and armor properties that function like dodge bonuses. There's a feat called Single Blade Style that provides a +2 dodge bonus as long as you have a weapon in one hand and nothing in the other. The classes I mentioned in my OP all provide bonuses that behave as dodge bonuses, one of them actually even adds their AC Bonus as a dodge bonus. The dodge bonus against a single target only comes from a small selection of 3 or 4 feats. There are actually significantly more sources of dodge that apply against all attacks. Off the top of my head I can think of 5 classes, 3 feats, and at least 1 magic Item that grant a dodge (or similar) bonus against all attacks. As for a toggle between spell slots and spell points... it might be better to not include the toggle and just have both visible at the same time. Someone playing a Caster/Manifester hybrid character would certainly need both... and there are some classes with an additional resource that functions similarly to Power/Spell Points... example, the character I'm playing in the campaign with my group is a Spellthief, her stolen spells use a point system of their own... on my sheet I would move her stolen spells to occupy the Power/Spell Points section once added.
Diana P
Pro
Sheet Author
A box for dodge and a section for power points has been submitted and is waiting for the next refresh from Github. The armor/shield worn box I'm working on and I haven't done anything to the spell focus stuff yet.
Thankyou very much. Hopefully the next refresh will be before our next game.

Edited 1426592513
Diana, you've done so much already... however I was curious if by chance one more change might be possible... it's a bit of a larger task though so I can perfectly understand if you don't wish to implement it. Expanding the spell section... Basically to make use of your amazing spell template a lot easier.. adding extra fields to each spell listing [SpellUsed##]/[SpellPrep##] [SpellName##] [SpellLevel##] -- [----------------] [SpellSchool##] [Components##] [CastTime##] [Range##] --- |Macro Field| [btn] [Target##] [Duration##] [SpellSave##] [SpellResist##] -------- [----------------] This would allow for a quick and easy method of filling out your spell template using repeating section attributes to hold most of the information so the end user would only need to fill out the {{Check}} {{Checkroll}} {{CritRoll}} {{FumbleRoll}} & {{Notes}} sections where applicable.. could even optionally include a [SpellLink##] field for those who wish to include a link to the spell on the SRD A default template in each level field would look like this: &{template:DnD35StdRoll} {{spellflag=true}} {{name=@{character_name} }} {{subtags=casts [@{spellname##}](@{spelllink##}).}} {{School:=@{spellschool##} }} {{Level:=@{spellgroupname##} }} {{Cmp’nts:=@{components##} }} {{Casting Time:=@{casttime##} }} {{Range:=@{range##} }} {{Target:=@{target##} }} {{Duration:=@{duration##} }} {{Saving Throw:= @{spellsave} DC:[[@{spelldc1}]] }} {{Spell Resist.:= @{spellresist}}} {{Caster level check: = [[1d20+@{casterlevel}+@{spellpen}]] vs spell resistance.}} {{compcheck= Conc:[[{1d20+@{concentration} }&gt;15 ]] }} {{succeedcheck=Success! She casts her spell!}} {{failcheck=She fails :( }} {{check= }} {{checkroll= }} {{notes= }} Currently I'm using the Used, Prep, and Level fields to house School, Components, & Duration information and a few extra attributes for simplifying some of the other fields with common values... with your template laid out like this: &{template:DnD35StdRoll} {{spellflag=true}} {{name=@{character_name} }} {{subtags=casts @{spellname11}.}} {{School:=@{spellused11} }} {{Level:=@{spellgroupname11} }} {{Cmp’nts:=@{spelllevel11} }} {{Casting Time:=@{std} }} {{Range:=@{touch} }} {{Target:= }} {{Duration:=@{spellprep11} }} {{Saving Throw:= DC:[[@{spelldc1}]] }} {{Spell Resist.:= }} {{Caster level check: = [[1d20+@{casterlevel}+@{spellpen}]] vs spell resistance.}} {{compcheck= Conc:[[{1d20+@{concentration} }&gt;15 ]] }} {{succeedcheck=Success! She casts her spell!}} {{failcheck=She fails :( }} {{check= }} {{checkroll= }} {{notes= }}
Diana P
Pro
Sheet Author
Chell, I do not plan on implementing that. I and my group prefer a simpler version of the sheet; we use the spell section to put in our spell cast emotes and quick reminders; the more full-featured examples I show in the sample and example macros is far more information than we want being displayed everytime we cast a spell. That being said, Toby is working on a far more full featured 3.5 sheet, similar to the pathfinder or 5.0 sheets. His sheet looks like it's coming along nicely and I have encouraged him to release it as an alternate sheet when he's finished.

Edited 1426612070
As I said, I can perfectly understand if you don't wish to implement it. Thankyou for the work you've done though. Your sheet is still amazing. When/If Toby releases his hopefully it uses the same attributes as your sheet where it can... it would be a real pain to lose half of the information in our character sheets if we were to switch over at a later date... I might bump my subscription up to mentor after I get paid again and try adding the expanded spell list myself then handing it over to my DM to get him to add it to our game though...
Diana P
Pro
Sheet Author
The box for dodge in AC as well as the field for Power Points (and fixing the extra large "Balance" name) are now active. The next refresh will have a checkbox to the left of Armor Name and Shield in the AC Items field. The mouseover will tell you that it is armorworn or shieldworn. Unchecking that box will remove the armor and/or shield from the AC (armor bonus and max dex) and skill (armor penalty) calculations. I think I have all the logic working correctly for it; if you see an issue once it goes live, please let me know. :)