Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Nesting tables in rollable tables

Tom
Pro
Sheet Author
Is it possible to "nest" tables in r20's rollable table feature? Say I want to make a table for random encounters. If it rolls "no encounter", that's it. Done. But if an encounter occurs, I'd like it to also roll the subsequent tables (macro style). Would this work? Any tips for success?
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Currently no, but it's on my list to write an API method to handle this....
Tom
Pro
Sheet Author
Thanks Aaron. I suspected as much.
While it might be a waste, you could always roll the encounter anyways and then just show that section of the roll template if the dice indicate an encounter. It would be more complex than the API call in many situations.
Tom
Pro
Sheet Author
Jeff, What I had planned on doing was just having two macros. One macro to see if there was an encounter (1 table), and a second to generate the details (encounter roll, surprise, distance, disposition.; 4 tables). But my menu bar is a premium space, and I'd rather have everything under one button.
Jeff's solution (if I understand it properly) would only require one button. Your macro would roll the encounter chance and the result from the table as well, it's just that if there is no encounter, the table roll is "wasted." I do a similar thing for my wandering monster encounter macro, and for my attack macros, for that matter. There's one roll to hit, and a damage roll, all with one button (actually, 2 damage rolls - 1 vs. S-M size opponents, and another vs. L).
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
With an API script, you could have the result of the script kick off a menu of API Buttons that are whispered to you in the chat, thereby allowing you to have a single button interface to a multi stage input.