Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Monster Encounters

How can i setup a list of future encounters for my players. Can I even add up monsters in advance?
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Hi Rob. Are you talking about creating a collection of tokens representing monsters with tokens representing you players? For example, you're expecting to have 5 kobolds ambush your 3 players on a bridge at some point in the adventure and you want to prepare that?
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
If you haven't seen it yet, you might want to go through: <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Roll20_Crash_Course" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Roll20_Crash_Course</a>
Yes that is correct. I didn't see anything in the crash course on how to set that up. Or having a folder of certain common monsters i might be using with its stats.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
You'll need to add each of the monsters you want to use, usually by creating characters for them (see here for linking tokens to characters correctly). Here's an outline of the steps: 1) Setup Players as characters 2) Setup Monsters (probably as characters) 3) Create a page to house the encounter 4) Setup the terrain how you like it (draw with the draw tools, drag in images to the map layer, etc) 5) Drag the players into the map where they will start 6) Drag Monsters in (or copy/paste them if you didn't make characters for them)

Edited 1428505767
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
You can arrange the monsters in your own folder structure since the latest release (making character sheets for your monsters with the basic stats needed for them to function first of course). Then you can apply default tokens to those sheets for that easy drag and drop monster generation. As for pre-planning, you can set up any amount of pages with the encounter maps on there, add your monsters ahead of time and even your players (they can't see any page you don't put the player ribbon on). Although it is worth noting that your players default tokens will update on every page where they are laid in wait (not a problem unless you have an API that drops blood when they get hurt like i do... then when i come to a pre-prepared page later on it is literally covered in blood! The wiki has a wealth of information that you will find useful, particularly with connecting tokens to sheets and so on.
I don't know if any of you used fantasy grounds 2 or not but when you planned an 'encounter' it was just an icon / list item. You drag it out from the list and poof you have 3 kobolds. Maybe one of them a tougher one. You still have to make up the map etc. I get that part. I was just confused about creating the monster vs a character. The setup monsters part is what was tripping me up.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I see what you mean, to achieve something that touches on that you would need an API script, which as a mentor you have access to. I'm sure Aaron will even have ideas on exactly how that script would work too. For now all you can do is drag and drop single monsters (but you could give them different pictures using the 1 default token... more on that if needed). To get slightly tougher versions you would need slightly tougher character sheets set up or ?{...} queries as part of your macros to give them boosted attack/damage calculations etc?
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Z knows me so well... I was just contemplating how I would setup an API script that could do what you're talking about. Now that the API has .remove() and access to the default token of characters, it would be possible. However, the restriction on imgsrc would prevent it from true glory...
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
I usually make a Bestiary page on my campaign where I setup my monsters and npc's. I use the sidebar's folder feature to better organize them as well. Depending on the game/sheet(I use the PF sheet) you are using it may have a simplified section for NPC/Monster. I like setting them up on a sheet, but I'll have most their important attacks and special abilities setup as ability macros so I usually don't have to open their sheet during an encounter. Since you are a Mentor and have access to the API, there are many scripts for importing stat blocks and some the auto-magically create the token link(represents) and ability macros for attacks. Aaron also has his TokenNameNumber script that can randomly add numbers to token's when you copy and paste a token. Very handy for mobs so that they can easily be differentiated for combat. Also, you can place NPC's and monsters on the GM-layer of upcoming maps/encounters. Just move to the token-layer when needed and roll for initiative. Of course there are a million and one scripts (Just from Aaron :-) ) that can help expedite nearly every aspect of roll20 encounters. Great fun.
I wonder if they'll have the bestiaries integrated at all or purchasable. A few days go DND 5th edition went on sale for fantasy grounds. It looks pretty awesome buuuut I'd rather play pathfinder.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I'd recommend you look at the work in progress and upcoming compendium :)
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Copy/Paste or drag/drop from the forthcoming Rules Compendium would be awesome! Parsing on the fly baby.
Shoot! i forgot about that compendium work derp. GET IT FINISHED ALREADY! Do you need energy drinks sent to your house / office? Clearly you are still sleeping, incredibly inefficient! /sarcasm. I cannot wait to see what you guys accomplish.
Rob A. said: Shoot! i forgot about that compendium work derp. GET IT FINISHED ALREADY! Do you need energy drinks sent to your house / office? Clearly you are still sleeping, incredibly inefficient! /sarcasm. I cannot wait to see what you guys accomplish. licensing issues... and you can bet the first thing WotC will say is... "charge them $50 per book, we dont care if they already have the physical." we have API script writers making stat block converters... imagine if they collaborated with the character sheet authors.. we might get something that does: 1. Find or search on the interwebs for a txt or other such document with "custom" monster stat blocks for whatever OGL system, with over 300 monsters cleanly laid out and parse-able. 2. Copy paste it to a handout called something like "Monster list alpha" 3. Run a script to pull values from this handout's huge list of variables and insert them into character sheets, including creating macros and token actions. 4. Enjoy TPKing your PC's wide selection of nasties. the point is with API being such a powerful tool, there are options open.
I don't really understand programming and APIs. So I will wait for them to integrate it to the main roll20.