Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Token Nameplates and Turn Order Labels for PCs

Team, ISSUE (1): Token Nameplates, visible to player characters (PCs) When I click "show nameplate", I (the GM), see it clearly, but my players were reporting that they couldn't see the nameplates for the PC tokens. They claimed it was difficult to distinguish between the player tokens without the nameplate text. Is there a setting to allow the PCs to see this text? If this is not a setting I can change, how are other DMs addressing this issue? One thought we had was to use hyper-distinct tokens (e.g., axe for the fighter, dagger for the rogue, etc ...). ISSUE (2): Labels for Turn Orders, visible to PCs As the GM, I see a small token and a text label for each entry in the turn order interface. My players reported that they could see the icons, the text label for their character, but not the text label for any of the other PCs. Is there a setting that changes this? If not, how are other DMs addressing this issue? I appreciate anyone who takes the time to respond to this message. Thanks!
Spren
Sheet Author
In the token settings on the second tab there are check boxes for what the players can and cannot see. Make sure the name is checked for them and that should solve the nameplate issue.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Double click the token. Under the advanced tab click the checkbox next to "See" for "Name" The text label in the initiative tracker is controller via the same setting. If you want them to see the name of NPCs check the same box as above.
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Doubleclick the token, go to advanced, and allow PCs to 'see' the name and bars and auras.
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
*snicker* Great minds think alike!
Thank you, Saitama, Mark, and GenKitty! This community has been extra awesome since I've joined. I've been meaning to become a supporter, and the love in this thread has inspired me to do so--right now! p.s. I made the changes and next time I get one of the PCs to log on with me, I will verify that it's working as intended (I'm sure it will).
Gold
Forum Champion
Good thread! This is documented in the Wiki page for Token Features, under "Advanced Settings" <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Token_Features" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Token_Features</a>
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Time Spiral said: Thank you, Saitama, Mark, and GenKitty! This community has been extra awesome since I've joined. I've been meaning to become a supporter, and the love in this thread has inspired me to do so--right now! p.s. I made the changes and next time I get one of the PCs to log on with me, I will verify that it's working as intended (I'm sure it will). Try using the "Re-join as a Player"(right sidebar settings) to see what your players will see. Great for testing.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Just make sure to have at least one sheet/token set up to be controlled by you as a player or as 'all players' first otherwise you'll see nothing (and make sure the ribbon is on the page you want to see) ;)
A related problem we have had is when using detailed maps and low light, the tokens can get lost in the background details. What I did was set aura 1 to 0' and the color to the player's color., you need to set all of the player's tokens to "see aura 1", this cuts down on accidentally backstabbing the cleric and makes it much easier for them to find their tokens.