Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Suggestions after 1 Month of play

So I've been DMing a campaign for 3 players now for 5 sessions where we meet weekly. We are having a pretty good time with Roll20 but there are definitely some things we've noticed along the way. I thought it might be useful to get a perspective from a group that's been using the software regularly for about a month now. So here is a list of suggestions from myself and players in no particular order that we think could bring some nice enhancements to Roll20 and everyone's ability to play: 1) Allow for some sort of sort ability for the Jukebox 2) Option to allow players to add their own handouts to the journal 3) Add support for PDF documents as handouts 4) Add ability for players to update their character image 5) Add options to attach players token to character that can be added to the maps 6) Add option to assign bar/aura values to those characters as well that auto update when the token is added to the map 7) Add an NPC underneath Characters on the Journal 8) Allow Macros to be exported and imported so that players can share macros or they can be moved between campaigns 9) Allow players to copy and paste their own tokens across the maps 10) Add a lock resize and lock delete option on player tokens that the DM can set 11) Give players ability to make their own tokens bars visible, with DM override visible option 12) Allow direct selection of campaign image rather than a scroll through all your images for the campaign 13) Allow player audio when the option is selected for Show Names Only 14) Save Video & Voice settings across sessions of a campaign at the least if not permanently 15) Save Talk as in chat across sessions of the same campaign 16) Add a keyboard short cut to hide/display the turn tracker 17)Add folders for the Maps area so that we can group maps together in larger campaigns. 18) Add a player editable journal 19) Give players the ability to add their own tokens to the turn tracker 20) Ability to assign macro's to tokens rather than to players Awesome product so far can't wait to see the future updates!!
I agree with a lot of the things that were said here. Especially the things where the players have a lot more control. That is one of the major complaints from group is that the players really have little to no control in the game and that the GM always has to give them control. It feels a lot like babysitting the players. Telling them what they can and cannot touch, like I don't trust them not to move pieces that are not theirs. This is one thing I think needs attention so that they are not just sitting around waiting for me to give them control so they can finally do something.
This is the definitive list of improvements imo. Due to its size, I'd say the only way to improve it would be listing it by order of importance (assuming it isn't already) to help highlight what's a need and what's a want.
Saul Wynne
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Good list 8) Allow Macros to be exported and imported so that players can share macros or they can be moved between campaigns. That would be very useful, played our first day of our campaign last week, I'm DM'ing for 4 players , took a lot of time setting up dice for each character/players - create one set of macro then share :D Win win /Agree
What I like about this list is that it is a lot of small things. But these little really add up to a much better product.
Yeah we realize there are bigger features on the way that will add to the game, but overall it is already a pretty solid product. With even some of the above changes, particularly around giving players more control I think it would bring the current state to a more polished state.
The possibility to give players more control is already available. You could upgrade them to GM. It doesn't mean that they have to do any gamemastering. ..10) Add a lock resize and lock delete option on player tokens that the DM can set I thought that players could not resize or delete a token? I'll have to check at home.
If you give them GM though then can't they see through the FoW? I use this so I can place all my tokens before hand rather than having to do a bunch of copy and pasting.
Ah yes. I had thought about the controls, but not FoW. You are right. Something between the status of player and GM seems to be needed for what you have in mind (access to the GM controls, but not FoW and GM layer, I would guess).
I'd like to say: let us use the turn tracker without tokens, I'm unlikely to ever set up D&D style token dungeons but I'd like to be able to use the initiative tracking system.
number 13, get as much of the table top visible and accessible. Showing just names would really help.
I'd like to say: let us use the turn tracker without tokens, I'm unlikely to ever set up D&D style token dungeons but I'd like to be able to use the initiative tracking system. Very good suggestion!
number 13, get as much of the table top visible and accessible. Showing just names would really help. Indeed. If possible, I'd suggest moving the map controls and the video screens to a left-side panel. Most screens these days are widescreen format, so many of us probably have more horizontal room than vertical - stacking the video, macro bar, and map controls vertically on the left would be my recommendation.