Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

3D Dice not working with multiple nested rolls

Ok, I noticed that in trying to clean up the attack macros in my D&D 5e campaign that when you have multiple nested rolls in the same macro it will not roll the 3D dice for some of the rolls. To be clear it is not rolling the dice that are outside of the nested inline roll, I understand that we just want a result from inside the nested rolls and not see the actual roll. I did some experimenting and it seems to follow a pattern. Try [[1d20+[[1+1d6]]]] [[1d20+2]] and it rolls just the two D20's, and not the nested 1D6, as expected. Now try [[1d20+[[1+1d6]]]] [[1d20+[[2]]]] with the second set of nested inputs on the same line it no longer rolls the first D20. It is only rolling the second die. Even stranger when you remove the first set of nested brackets like so [[1d20+1d6]] [[1d20+[[2]]]] it will still only roll the second D20. the first 3D die roll is not showing up. Now add a third nested roll on the line like so [[1d20+1d6]] [[1d20+[[2]]]] [[1d8+[[1]]]] and it will only roll the D8, from the last inline roll. I hope this helps in figuring this out. Thanks Ed
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Thanks for the simple use cases Ed, this helps us a lot.
This issue is coming up more often now as sheet authors are adding more nested inline rolls into their roll templates to clean up the hover text. I just wanted to make everyone aware that it is an issue and that it has been brought up to the dev team. I hope a solution is found soon, we love our 3D dice.
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Its something we intend to fix Soon TM.
I am just checking if there is a fix coming for this? Or is there a work around, I would like to clean up some code but don't want to loose the 3D dice.
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
The fix for this is already live on the Dev server. Which means it's on it's way.
yeah!
This is still an issue. I have a test macro to see how it is going. [[[[1d6+5]]+1d20]] | [[[[1d6+10]] + 1d20]] [[[[1d6]]+1d8]] only the D8 gets rolled. BTW if your turn the macro around a little and do this [[1d20+[[1d6+5]]]] | [[1d20+[[1d6+10]]]] [[1d8+[[1d6]]]] it breaks completely . I hope this helps figure it out.
@Ed S. Thanks for this info. I'm tracking down if the fix for this was pushed out with this patch or not or if it is still in-progress.
Thanks for checking! BTW, I love the new layout on the forums.
Ed S. said: Thanks for checking! BTW, I love the new layout on the forums. Thanks! I am glad you like it!