Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

/em vs /me

What exactly is the difference between /em and /me? They seem to do the same thing.
The spelling... They're the same command.
The reason for both commands is because a lot of MMO's and MUD's back in the day used one or both commands.
Ok, I was afraid I was missing something.
I didn't see it in the Wiki... is there a command to be used in place of /em that would name the creature doing something in place of the player? Example, if I named a token "Fiendish Nightmare of a Creature", can a script reference that name to say that "Fiendish Nightmare of a Creature attacks and rolls a .... "?
Diana P
Pro
Sheet Author
Gm's can use /emas "Fiendish Nightmare of a Creature" does something dastardly. and /as for say as. In Wiki at: <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Text_Chat#GM_Exclusive_Cha" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Text_Chat#GM_Exclusive_Cha</a>...
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
If you are a gm, you can hardcode the macro with /emas "Fiendish Nightmare of a Creature". That command is only for GMs
You could also try using "/desc".

Edited 1430419898
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
/desc is more like posting a full scene description than emoting as a creature or npc. They function similar but there is a slightly different feel to them.
Barry said: I didn't see it in the Wiki... is there a command to be used in place of /em that would name the creature doing something in place of the player? Example, if I named a token "Fiendish Nightmare of a Creature", can a script reference that name to say that "Fiendish Nightmare of a Creature attacks and rolls a .... "? I don't know about scripts but nearly all of my monster's tokens have attacks that pull the token name and start the combat output with something like what you suggest, followed by the AC they hit and any damage they may have caused. I also have player attacks set up the same way, using the PowerCard script to make it fancier looking.

Edited 1430438060
Nick S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Translator
Barry said: I didn't see it in the Wiki... is there a command to be used in place of /em that would name the creature doing something in place of the player? Example, if I named a token "Fiendish Nightmare of a Creature", can a script reference that name to say that "Fiendish Nightmare of a Creature attacks and rolls a .... "? If you want to do just one macro that will help with one or several characters (for initiative for instance), you can do something like: @{selected|token_name} rolls initiative for an incredibly high [[1d20+2&{tracker}]] !! In order to use that kind of command you will need to have a token selected, or it won't work. It also adds the initiative directly to the tracker. Hope that helps, Nick