Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Nested Inline with descriptors

Edited 1430430816
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Is there a way to use descriptors [something] within an inline roll? example [[ [[1d20]]+5[mod] ]]
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
[[1d20+5[mod] ]] worked for me just now, [[ [[1d20]]+5[mod] ]] did not. New bug!
GenKitty said: [[1d20+5[mod] ]] worked for me just now, [[ [[1d20]]+5[mod] ]] did not. New bug! Ouch. Not being able to use comments in an inline roll would gut certain features of powercards.

Edited 1430433671
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
It looks like it only pops up for nested inline rolls, but yeah, this is troubling. If there's any place I most want inline labels, it would be next to nested rolls!

Edited 1430437004
it doesn't work with nested inline rolls like that for the same reason that it never worked with math only rolls... when you nest your dice rolls they become math only in the final in-line roll... you can bypass this problem by including just a single dice roll in the final layer of your in-line rolls [[d0+[[1d20]]+5[mod] ]] will work
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
I don't know about that. I don't think that's the intended behavior based on this post by Riley: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1815237/#post-18" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1815237/#post-18</a>... I mentioned it to Steve, hopefully they will fix it soon, as I think without the ability to label nested rolls, it obviates some of the practical usefulness of them.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
The Aaron said: I don't know about that. I don't think that's the intended behavior based on this post by Riley: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1815237/#post-18" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1815237/#post-18</a>... I mentioned it to Steve, hopefully they will fix it soon, as I think without the ability to label nested rolls, it obviates some of the practical usefulness of them. Aaron, would you recommend I make an "official" bug post? We would like to add nested inline rolls to the pathfinder sheet and having descriptive text would be most beneficial for the ton of modifiers and conditions that are in use.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Probably wouldn't hurt.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Chell said: it doesn't work with nested inline rolls like that for the same reason that it never worked with math only rolls... when you nest your dice rolls they become math only in the final in-line roll... you can bypass this problem by including just a single dice roll in the final layer of your in-line rolls [[d0+[[1d20]]+5[mod] ]] will work You are correct Chell. Thanks for the old 0d0 workaround. I'll make an official post about the issue and maybe we won't have to sneak a 0d0 roll into our sheet formulas.
Vince said: Chell said: it doesn't work with nested inline rolls like that for the same reason that it never worked with math only rolls... when you nest your dice rolls they become math only in the final in-line roll... you can bypass this problem by including just a single dice roll in the final layer of your in-line rolls [[d0+[[1d20]]+5[mod] ]] will work You are correct Chell. Thanks for the old 0d0 workaround. I'll make an official post about the issue and maybe we won't have to sneak a 0d0 roll into our sheet formulas. it certainly would be nice to eliminate unnecessary dice from rolls just to have notations included... in my 3.5 game I nested all my flat bonuses with their notations and had to include a superficial dice roll just to get the roll to work without removing the notes... I wan't to know what each of my bonuses are from even though I only want the total output in the actual roll...

Edited 1430457980
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Exactly! Nested dice rolls are the most important place for inline comments. I suspect, however, that we'll have to use the 1d0cf1 trick for the forseeable future.
GenKitty said: Exactly! Nested dice rolls are the most important place for inline comments. I suspect, however, that we'll have to use the 1d0cf1 trick for the forseeable future. you mean d0cs1? cause [[d0cf1]] has a green outline just like [[d0]] does normally... and oddly enough already fails only on a roll of 1 (the only die to fail on a roll higher than it's crit)
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Hm. Just did some testing. [[0d0cf1]] is apparently what I want, as it didn't have any outlines just now.
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
GenKitty said: Hm. Just did some testing. [[0d0cf1]] is apparently what I want, as it didn't have any outlines just now. With 0d0 would shouldn't need any other modifiers to avoid adding an outline.
Brian said: GenKitty said: Hm. Just did some testing. [[0d0cf1]] is apparently what I want, as it didn't have any outlines just now. With 0d0 would shouldn't need any other modifiers to avoid adding an outline. yup, and ill add one more option so people dont get confused as to why its there: 0d0 [Bug Fix]