Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Search for campaigns that are set to "open to public"?

I thinking I am missing the obvisious here, but how do I search the various campaigns that are set to allow the public to view them?
Unless I'm misunderstanding... There isn't a "public view" sort of campaign. Either you've been invited to a campaign or you haven't been. The closest I think would be some of the recorded sessions on Twitch or similar.

Edited 1430974130
Actually you can set campaigns to be publicly viewed But I dont think you can search for them.

Edited 1430974574
Gold
Forum Champion
I think (might be wrong) only Mentors can use the setting, which is under Campaign Settings accessed from your campaign details page. The setting text says, " Allow public access to campaign? Yes No Allows anyone to view your campaign details page, public journal entries (marked for "All Players"), and read campaign forums. Only those you have invited as players will be able to join the game itself, read the chat archive, or post in the forums." I don't know of a way to search for them yet.

Edited 1431039171
Yes, you can set your campaign to public view, but why have that if you can't search them... ? Obsidian portal allows you to search them.. Great for game ideas and to see how others are doing things.. Just say'n.. ;)
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Sounds like a great suggestion for the Suggestions & Ideas forum. =D
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
At this time, looking at someone's campaign that is public, but you aren't a member of, is pretty useless. The last time this subject was brought up, no one was able to give an answer, so I'll ask again: What use do you get from looking at the campaign details page, public journal entries (marked for "All Players"), and reading campaign forums?
Gold
Forum Champion
GenKitty said: What use do you get from looking at the campaign details page, public journal entries (marked for "All Players"), and reading campaign forums? Similar to reading a fiction book or watching an adventure movie, except the content is created by fellow gamers instead of Hollywood. I'm speaking from reading Campaign Journals on other sites, and how I would feel if I was a stranger but could read the Journals written by my Players in our Roll20 campaign. Their journals and character sheets, plus a few handouts we've made, are like a whole fantasy story & world. It would be interesting to share it with some people. Not everyone would be interested, like Twitch, or Reddit, or Fan-fic, YouTube, self published modules, or podcasts, but some people would take an interest.
Finally, if you make it google search friendly, you will show up more often when people are searching google for gaming ideas... I am sure the bean counters can see the "value" in having more eyes hit your URL, you would think.
Gold
Forum Champion
Warren & everyone, Keith started a Suggestions & Ideas thread for this topic. Please add your +1 upvote and Comments related to this idea, here, List of Available / Visible Games suggestion, <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/2002697/list-of-" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/2002697/list-of-</a>... Additionally, I answered Keith on that thread with a detailed investigation of how this feature currently works. In summary: We tested today and confirmed that GM's who have enabled the setting for public visibility, can COPY the Campaign Details URL and share that link on the Forums or even over email or social media. The public including non-Roll20 Members would be able to visit your Campaign Details link and see the specified areas (Journals set to All Players, campaign Forum threads, and the campaign's basic details text), if you give out the link.