Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

PC Sight, 5e

Edited 1431117924
How does darkvision work with the lights in the game. All my PC's have darkvision. I have changed their sight multiplier to 2. However, when there is no light in the room at all, and the player should see as if it is dimlight, the pc's see nothing. Ideas?
Spren
Sheet Author
I don't use multipliers. Here's a list of the setting I use that I keep in a handout for easy reference. The first number is the radius, and the second is the start of dim. Everything else is blank, but this "Has sight" box obviously. Dim Light - Normal (500/0) , Darkvision (500/60) Darkness - Normal (10/0) , Darkvision (60/0) Candle - (10/5) Campire - (20/10) Lamp - (30/15) Lantern, Bullseye - (120/60) in 60ft cone Lantern Hooded - (60/30) Light Cantrip - (40/20) Torch - (40/20)
It's a bit tricky to use with 5e, compared to 3.5 or 4th. You'll want to go to the token's light setting, and have it produce light out to the radius of the ddarkvision (or some very high number if it is infinite range, haven't played much 5e, can't remember). Then, put the Start of Dim Light value to 0. Lastly, make sure that the "all players see light" button is NOT checked. The light multiplier won't actually make any dim light to be bright, but will make the radius of any light, bright and dim, to be twice as wide. his works very nicely with 3.5/PF low-light vision, but not so much 5e darkvision. If you do choose to leave it on (since you can't really get exactly correct results either way) make sure to set any light ranges that only that character can see (like the example above) put the distance at half the value. For example, if the character has some special vision that works out to 60 feet, set the value to 30, because it will get multiplied by 2, like all other light sources.
I just use 5 dim light and 60 full light. Player has sight checked. Keep others see light unchecked. This is how I handle Dark Vision. I also use a macro to handle equipping of torches and Dark vision. If the Dark vision user is using a torch. Just set dim to 40. and others see light. Honestly, if the extra 20 feet of vision is super important for something I just handle it manually. There is probably ways of using multipliers to handle them via API macros as well i suppose. but its more hassle then its worth for light sources.
Saitama said: Candle - (10/5) Campire - (20/10) Lamp - (30/15) Lantern, Bullseye - (120/60) in 60ft cone Lantern Hooded - (60/30) Light Cantrip - (40/20) Torch - (40/20) Slightly off-topic (my bad). Regarding your campfire radius, where did you get it from? I did go through the books (multiple times) and I couldn't see a campfire's light range listed anywhere - I've DM'd them to be the same as torches for my homebrew campaign - becuase I can't see why a torch would give out more light than a campfire, which I'm 100% happy with. However, the point I'm getting as is thus; Have you DM'd that radius yourself? Or did you pull it from the PH/DMG (and I need to go get my eyes checked)?
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I use 70 / -5 to simulate 60 feet of dark vision. 70 to make up for the pneumbra of darkness at the edges. Put an aura on your token and you'll see that 60 =/= 60. Also as those above said darkvision does not increase your vision range, but changes dim to light. This isn't currently possible in roll20. :(
I was looking for this exact information. What angle do you set the vision at?
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Kali11324 said: I was looking for this exact information. What angle do you set the vision at? 360. Why would it be any less?
Mark said: Kali11324 said: I was looking for this exact information. What angle do you set the vision at? 360. Why would it be any less? For characters? I was thinking of like the whole cone of vision thing. I am new to dynamic lighting and I have just been messing around with it.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I used to use a more restrictive 240 'cone' of vision to reflect the characters looking ahead but still being aware of the sides (regularly glancing left and right, using their peripheral vision etc) which is what i'd do in a spook dungeon. However after a few sessions I just decided to grant them 360 vision, again accounting for the fact that no sane adventurer wouldn't regularly check for anything sneaking up behind them... That doesn't stop me keeping monsters on the GM layer until right up behind the group unless they pass a covert 'spot' check ;) Basically, the players have a restricted enough view as it is, if they have to manually spin their characters around to remind themselves of a rooms layout they can soon get bored. Hope that helps.
Kali11324 said: Mark said: Kali11324 said: I was looking for this exact information. What angle do you set the vision at? 360. Why would it be any less? For characters? I was thinking of like the whole cone of vision thing. I am new to dynamic lighting and I have just been messing around with it. Conical vision is great for survival horrors and suspense, but it rarely works well for Dungeons and Dragons. The game system has no sense of "facing" (there's no attacking or sneaking up behind someone). You will often find that in practice it's more bothersome for your players to constantly rotate tokens to look around than it's worth. It could be fun, don't get me wrong, but I wouldn't recommend it on all maps.