Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Macro / Ability Comment Text?

Is it possible to have comment text in Abilities and Macros that doesn't show in the chat window when the Macro is rolled? I've searched the Wiki and the forum but I can't seem to find an answer. Basically when setting up Abilities for GURPS 4e characters, you need a way to record the development over time of the Ability and it would be ideal if you could do it in the Macro it self. Eg: /emas Pentu rolls Acrobatics /roll @{DEXTERITY}+1-3D6 Skill Level: DX+1 (17) Advancement Difficulty: DX Hard Spent Character Points: 8 I'd like the text in bold to be commented out so that you only see it when you open the Macro / Ability editing window.
I thought I had found a solution by using HTML 5 comment tags but it turns out the text inside the comment tags is not saved when you save the Macro / Ability. Still hoping someone else has a solution.
Ok, that's weird. Now HTML 5 comment tags seem to be working again. I guess it was just a saving issue. So comments in a Macro / Ability would look like this: Eg: /emas Pentu rolls Acrobatics /roll @{DEXTERITY}+1-3D6 <!-- Skill Level: DX+1 (17) Advancement Difficulty: DX Hard Spent Character Points: 8 -->
Gauss
Forum Champion
Nice find. :) - Gauss
Well, the comments I have added to some of my Macros have disappeared again. +Riley D. Could you comment or look into why HTML comments seem to intermittently disappear once they are saved? This would be a really useful feature if it was reliable.
I can confirm that my comments are disappearing as well. This would be very helpful for explaining how people can modify a macro for their own use, as well as commenting out character sheet features that aren't available yet for a particular character (such as magical weapon proficiency & damage bonuses, which a character will likely have eventually, but doesn't have now).
I would not use anything along the lines of HTML-stuff (comments, formatting, etc.) as that's not officcially supported and in our quest to keep your computer safe we may change the way the filters for that work. That said, one thing you could do is take advantage of the "!" API-command feature. Commands that start with "!" are automatically ignored by the dice roller (since they're meant to be used by API scripts), but if you don't have any API scripts running in your campaign (or even if you do, but they don't respond to that command) then you could effectively use them as comments. For example, you could do: /emas Pentu rolls Acrobatics /roll @{DEXTERITY}+1-3D6 !# Skill Level: DX+1 (17) !# Advancement Difficulty: DX Hard !# Spent Character Points: 8 You can really sub-in anything you want after the "!" and it will be ignored. I just used "!#" to differentiate. (Note: You can use this method even if you aren't a Mentor and don't have access to the API.)
Thank Riley, if the "!" is used in this way, is there any danger of this text being inadvertently picked up by an API script that does use the "!" command? For example if I go this route and then in the future install someone elses script that leverages the "!" command, will I blow up my campaign and or the script?
GManator said: Thank Riley, if the "!" is used in this way, is there any danger of this text being inadvertently picked up by an API script that does use the "!" command? For example if I go this route and then in the future install someone elses script that leverages the "!" command, will I blow up my campaign and or the script? No it shouldn't interfere with any scripts, provided that they are doing it right (and all the ones I've seen shared publicly so far are).
Cool, thanks. I'll update the GURPS portion of the wiki with this.
How do you close comments like that? If the comments don't close, there's going to be limited utility to commenting out certain modifiers that aren't applicable.