Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
×

Slightly Different Dynamic Lighting Problem

So I've seen a number of times on here where people can see through the Dynamic Lighting, but today we ran into a different problem altogether. While playing tonight, I could see via the aura assigned to me and the other two, and one of the other players could see as well, but the third player was incapable of seeing anything. The GM checked and there was no discernible reason why he shouldn't have been able to see anything, but we couldn't figure it out. I was hoping that someone would know of a way to fix it for him, whether it be a setting we didn't see or something else entirely.
1432094008
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
The first thing to check is that his token has "has sight" checked. You also might try adding him as a controller on one of the other characters to see if it's just the token or something more.
I changed the tokens, ensured he had control off the tokens. The others could see light from his tokens and from reach other, but all he saw was black if dynamic lighting was enabled.
1432143507
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
And you insured his token "has sight"?
Yes. All players have sight of all the tokens.
1432149705
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
I think we're going to need the player in question to do the standard debug routine: Can you please follow Steps 1-3 of our Solving Technical Issues wiki page, taking special care to temporarily disable all browser add-ons and extensions, temporarily pause your anti-virus, and try switching browsers (for Chrome/Firefox specific issues) to see if one of those components is causing the problem. If all of that fails, please follow Step 4 , including providing all of the necessary information, so that we can further assist you.
I hate to piggy-back, but I'm experiencing the exact same issue. I have the console pulled up if you'd like the error codes? I'm not sure if my players will experience the issue since I'm only building the campaign atm, and we don't play until tomorrow. In GM mode, you can see everything fine, and CTRL+L shows the token's line of sight perfectly. The issue comes when I log in as a player, the entire screen is just black. I've experienced this issue with and without global illumination.
1432153471
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Emile, have you added yourself to one of the tokens as a controller? In GM mode, you implicitly see all the lighting. When you log in as a player, you must be assigned to a token or character just like any other player.
1432154519

Edited 1432156486
Added myself to the token as a controlled char. Also tried using IE and Chrome. Same issue exists. I can still click/move the token since I placed it in a corner. Restricted movement still works. Edit: I had a player hop online. No issue exists on his end.
Found the problem. Emile, make sure the token has the angle typed in for the first token you put down for yourself, for some reason, if that one doesn't have the angle, you can't see anyone else's light either.
That's a strange bug, but it worked! Thank you Miss!
1432170813
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Wild! Good info. I'll be sure to highlight this thread to the devs.
Hello Emile and Miss! I was not able to reproduce the bug on my end. Could you explain the steps you went through that caused this to occur? I created a new map, set up dynamic lighting, and placed the first token in the corner with "All players see light" and "Has sight" checked but Angle and Emits Light left blank. I was able to move the token around and could see the token on the map but everything else was black. When I moved the token near a light source I put on the map, I was able to see the illuminated area. Is there a step I did differently than you? Could you also follow Steps 1-4 and see if that helps out.
I created a token. Filled the radius and start of dim but nothing else. I checked All players see light and has sight. My player couldn't see his token or the map at all. I had no other light sources other than other players that were filled out correctly, but he still couldn't see their light. We did steps 1-4 before I found that all fixed if I just filled out the angle.
1432334378

Edited 1432334451
Sorry for the late response. I'm not sure what caused the issue. I just made tokens on several pages, assigned them, added sight, and took all the normal steps I would for a player of mine. When I CTRL+L'd it worked fine. I logged in as a player to make sure nothing looked wonky, and that my restricted movement acted the way I wanted. All the functionality worked, but it was just a black screen. Steps 1-4 are always go-tos for me, and had no effect. We played last night and my players experienced no issue. I'll be home later and see if I can recreate it, and shoot you a console log. Edit: I also had global illumination on 1 page, and used a token on the DL layer on another. Same effect.