Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

What wargames do you want to play?

Gauss
Forum Champion
So if you were to play any wargames in Roll20 which ones would they be? (Note: this is not an official inquiry, this is me as a player.) - Gauss
Ever since I played the Dawn of War series, I wanted to play the original Warhammer 40k game at least once.
Warhammer Fantasy Battle I am already playing it in Roll20 but that group rotation would still be a welcomed addition.
Maetco said: Warhammer Fantasy Battle I am already playing it in Roll20 but that group rotation would still be a welcomed addition. How does it play out?  I've been curious about using r20 for wargaming (Battletech, especially - also Silent Death, which I used to LOVE), and would love to hear about some experiences.
Advanced Squad Leader and Harpoon.
Lots of games can be incorporated with Roll20; I recreated a Risk-type game and Arkham Horror. If I had to pick, I would love Star Wars miniatures or maybe Heroclix. Even better: create a program that allows players to cycle through all available figurines and cards, complete with maps, counters, etc. Roll20 has a lot of potential in bringing these kinds of games to the players online. I would never buy Star Wars minis or wargaming figurines in reality because I don't have access to players. I would DEFINITELY pay for an electronic copy at 50% reduced price so I can play online; I would even pay for a knock-off (instead of Star Wars you have Star Conquest in which the mighty Federation tries to crush the Union with its thundertroopers, or whatever).
Maetco said: Warhammer Fantasy Battle I am already playing it in Roll20 but that group rotation would still be a welcomed addition. Ditto.
What do you use for unit tokens / miniatures for WFB?
Old-school Avalon Hill bookcase games. I personally prefer strategic level over tactical level.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Brett, which games?  - Gauss
Gauss
Forum Champion
I guess I should answer my own question too:  Axis and Allies (various versions/editions), Warhammer FB (I used to play 5th edition empire, it would be nice to get back into the game), Battletech, Star Fleet Battles, and Id probably try any game once.  - Gauss
I used to play the original Axis and Allies a lot, I even have a copy of the game with cardboard counters that pre-dates the plastic figures. My favorite Avalon Hill game was War & Peace. I had a copy of Empires in Arms for years but could never find anyone to play. I've also played Richthofen's War, B-17 Queen of the Skies, Air Assault on Crete, Guns of August, Napoleon at Bay, The Russian Campaign, Third Reich. Out of all those games, I think I still only have copies of War & Peace and Richthofen's War. I would love to port into Roll20 an obscure "beer & pretzels" wargame I have, called Grand Imperialism. I think it's a perfect candidate.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Brett, I have A&A Europe ported into Roll20 if you are ever interested. If you ever port the others in Id be willing to check them out. :)
I've never played the later, theater-specific versions of A&A, but I assume the rules are generally the same as the original? Let me know if you get a game going, I'd be interested in checking it out. :-)
Warhammer Fantasy >:)
I've been trying to get together Dirtside 2 and Full Thrust which I use to play years ago.  Something simple with as little charts etc to deal with.  Tokens are easy for these systems and the rules are free as pdf on the publishers website, Ground Zero Games.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Tony, I havent heard of those games, what are they like? - Gauss
Excelsias said: What do you use for unit tokens / miniatures for WFB? I tried posting a reply with an example of our unit-tokens but for some reason it didn't show up on the forum. Maybe we can't add pics to posts. Anyway so far we have been using plain grid-based unit-tokens (eg 5x4 squares representing 4 ranks of 5) and writing the unit information to the name of the token. But now that the group rotation is here we'll probably start using individual tokens and just lining the up in formations on a grid (grid on -> put the tokens in fromation -> grid off).
Gauss
Forum Champion
To post pictures use the 'insert image' icon in the forum toolbar. It is the second from the right. - Gauss
Keith
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Tony E. said: I've been trying to get together Dirtside 2 and Full Thrust which I use to play years ago.  Something simple with as little charts etc to deal with.  Tokens are easy for these systems and the rules are free as pdf on the publishers website, Ground Zero Games. I haven't played Dirtside, but I love Full Thrust.  It should be relatively easy to do as well.  Let me know if you want to give it a go.  I think we should be able to dig up some star-ship counters.
Keith
Pro
Marketplace Creator
I am looking at converting Betrayal at the House on the Hill from wizards/avalon hill.  I also have about 90% of a port of Catalyst Games' Leviathans as well as a playable port of Mayfair's Pillars of the Earth.  I am always looking for a new game to port however.
Gauss
Forum Champion
BTW, I am up to trying any wargame if you want a player.  - Gauss
Gauss, Full Thrust is a starship battles with a really simple system that came out years ago. &nbsp;the rules are available from the publishers free at: <a href="http://shop.groundzerogames.net/index.php?_a=viewCat&amp;catId=130" rel="nofollow">http://shop.groundzerogames.net/index.php?_a=viewCat&amp;catId=130</a> Keith, I'll start digging up the counters and ship sheets. &nbsp;I'll see what I can do about the ship diagram sheets. Tony
I've put up a test game for Full Thrust. &nbsp;Titled &nbsp;Full Thrust. Let me know if you want to give it ago Keith/Gauss.&nbsp;
huh a starship battle game? sounds interesting.. as for wargames i'd like to play? w40k
I'd want to play the games I know and love, namely Warmachine/Hordes, Malifaux and possibly Mercs. Though the latter really begs to be played in 3d.