Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Re-naming macro

Not sure if this has been discussed before and was unable to really find info on this. I play using a pathfinder sheet and I am aware that when I fill out the sheet I can drag the 20 sided dice icon to the macro bar so it is there for me to click. When I do that it comes up with a long name and thus a long button, is there a way to re-name the button so it is a bit shorter? I really don't need the buton saying "name_repeating_weapon_ect_ect" when I can just have the button say Scimitar.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Not an area i'm massively experienced in but i believe if you run the macro, then press the up key in the chat box it will display the macro command, you could then copy that into a macro you create on the settings tab (or as an ability on your sheet) and name it whatever you like, just add that to your bar using the tick box and you'll have a renamed macro. Also, worth testing, you could try shift+double-clicking the macro in your bar... it might take you to an editable window like it does with the normal macros... although i suspect this may just open your character sheet for a dragged one. Sorry, i'm at work otherwise i'd test my wild claims first!
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
I'll corroborate your first wild claim, and scoff at your second. =D
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
You can create an ability (on the Attributes & Abilities tab of your character journal entry) or macro (on the Settings tab of the right side pane) with %{My Character Name|Roll Button Name} as the text. %{Night Shade|initiative}, for example. That will call the appropriate roll button, and you can name your custom ability/macro whatever you want. (If you create an ability and put it on your macro bar at the bottom, the text on the button will also have your character name. If you create a macro or put it on the token action bar at the top, the character's name won't appear on the button.)
Thanks gentlemen, appreciate the info 😊
Brian, with what you mentioned is it possible to do that with multiple characters? My situation is that I have two PCs that will be together in one campaing for a few sessions before splitting up. I tried to do what you have mentioned, but when I substitute the name of the character (based on the character sheet) it will not roll anything, just bring up what I wrote. Just in case I am trying this with Macros (from the settings area on the far right of the screen).
Ziechael BTW followed you trick with hitting the macro, then using the up key to get the info, copied it to t blank macro and re-named it :-) Tanks a bunch.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Anytime, the best thing about this community is you'll always get options :) Happy to help