Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Modern Tiles - Roads & Office

One of the things mentioned here (and that I've discovered) is that there are LOTS of dungeon tile sets, but very few "modern" tilesets (like office buildings, etc.). I suspect it's because modern buildings are more boring than dungeons, but whatever the case, I've been working on a set of tiles that should be good for "modern" maps (and just in the interest of full disclosure, the office set was inspired by the 3D-ish top-down look used by Matt P. in his very awesome set he posted here about too). There are two screenshots attached - one is a set of tiles for roads, and one is a somewhat generic "office," even including ugly carpet. In any case, I'm polishing these up and hopefully I'll be able to get them into the marketplace soon. There are no gewgaws or objects (like furniture, etc) in these sets. I'm debating whether to include them, or leave that for others. Anyway, feel free to critique, suggest things, etc.
I forgot one - I also have a...not sure what to call it...let's say a vaguely "digital" looking tileset along the same style as the office set above. Here's a screenshot. It's not done, but I kinda dig it.
I would need to see a few more tiles to see how these connect with other tiles, but I like where these are going.
Thanks! With regard to your comment, if you mean connecting to other people's tilesets, they wouldn't connect with them (at least...not smoothly). If by connecting to each other, they were created at two times and so I anticipate having to make adjustments to the Road set to work with the office set, but I plan on doing that. In the office set, for instance, they're not complete tiles; they're walls, corners, and connectors, and various sizes of tileable carpet (since the tiling feature is missing, background texture has to be tiles too; the ability to fill a grid-bounded area with an image or texture will make things much easier!). I didn't do an exploded view (mostly because it was pretty late by the time I got that screenshot up) but aside from one hallway with both walls (for convenience), it's assembled from wall sections, corner sections, and junctions. So it can be more or less any shape as long as you line up the pieces properly. I will post an exploded view of the pieces today. However, in the pipeline are some "standalone" rooms (for convenience, again - if you need a square room or a rectangle room, it's easier to just drop it than build it of course), angled connections, and, if I can pull 'em off and they don't suck, curved sections. I'll also be experimenting with things like furniture and what not (although that's not my forte in this area; I'm good with geometric designs like above but making a desk look like a desk, I dunno :D).
Okay, as promised, here's an exploded view of the office building image above. I moved the carpet sections down to the bottom, but they are part of the tileset (though again, hopefully, tiling will be possible in the future in which case things get simpler).
Thanks Chris, now it all makes sense on how people can put their own offices together.
matt p.
Marketplace Creator
I like the office idea a lot. Cubicles can make for interesting themed labyrinths. I can see it working for dystopian future settings as well, (like paranoia). Have you played any Shin Megami Tensei games? The Persona series in particular has a lot of modern-settings that they turn into labyrinths, which might make some good inspiration. That's what I was going to look into for references if I ever decided to do a hospital set or something.
I haven't played any of those games, but modern-building-as-dungeon turns up in a lot of places in video games (while I was designing the tiles, I was thinking about the game "Crusader: No Remorse" which was an isometric game taking place entirely inside a futuristic building). I've extended the set a little bit, adding some cubicles to go with this set (they're self-contained tiles - different color, shorter walls). I'm hoping they get texture tiling back soon, because the worst part of building these ends up being putting carpet under it.
I don't want too many props, but generic plants, desk and chairs, maybe a conference table, as well as a stairwell, and elevator could add a lot. Would also like to see tile floors for lobbies, as well as a security desk, larger lobby style doors, and lastly a revolving door. All that should give the ability to make a diverse officer building.
Chris, how are these coming along? Still excited to see them!
Hey, Tommy - unfortunately they were delayed as I had a paying gig doing some logo work. That just wrapped up, so I'll have to revisit them and get the ball rolling again.