Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Two How To questions. I couldn't figure out a good way to use the other homophone too...

Question One: How to do play by post? Question Two: How to Co-GM?
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Play by post games run very similar to live text games but at a slower pace. My pbp game had 3 combats in about 2 weeks and the group in now in the process of exploring an old fortress ruins. Their first combat was against 3 giant frogs, the second was against a giant spider, and the last was against 8 orcs. In general the GM makes his post describing what the characters see and experience then the players respond. This goes back and forth in no specific order just like in live games. In combat, you do the initiative go through the round like any normal combat. With it being text and people posting when they can\, it can be slow at times but sometimes it can fly especially if people check the game board multiple times a day. To Co-GM, just promote the player that is going to be your partner. You go to the campaign detail page and locate their avatar and bring up the popup menu that says kick or promote the player and choose promote to gm. After that it is up to the two of you to work as a team, just as in live games. All GM's will have access to the maps, journals, sheets, everything so be sure this is who you want to work with otherwise you will have to demote them back to player.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
The following is a random sample of game text. I pulled a chunk of the chat archives to show you how it looks. Rorkhan Flameaxe: "Well, that was unexpected! I say we grab the other prisoner and then check out what's behind this door." Dravok Swiftblade : "He was talking to his god.." Dravok says as he wipes the arrow on tje dead orc's clothing. He then moves to the fire and examines what is cooking. Stumblebum watches the half-orc walk to the stew pot and thinks to himself, 'that is one cold blooded killer.' Then smiles and thinks, 'good' Stumblebum: Then he looks to the rest of the group, "I agree that we should try the North door, but I am expecting another ambush. I am wondering if we should search this room a little closer first, but I suspect time is running short for those kids lives. I am pretty sure we are on the right track from the things I found on the bodies." he shows them 13 gold coins, 8 silver coins, a child's marble, a rotting rabbits foot, a silk red ribbon, a silver ring with a crest on it. Did anyone ask the old lady if the girl was wearing a red ribbon? and the boy might have had this marble. And this ring, its probably cursed, he says as he puts it on. The orc seeing his opportunity of escape, as the feasone dwarf and his equally fierce companions were focused on what happened up in the north corner, runs for freedom. Stumblebum: (ooc: he is tied up) Metroknight (GM): ((OOV : ignore the post of him escaping. I did not realize you all meant his legs were bound also. I assumed it was just his hands and arms.)) the orc lays bound like a trussed hog waiting for slaughter. Rorkhan Flameaxe: "If there's a possibility of another ambush I'd say we open the door and then toss this shaman in. That might take the wind out of their sails. We'll have to make sure the kids aren't in there first though as that would probably scare them more than they already are." Stumblebum says, "I wouldn't worry about it. They're probably dead and in a stew by now, anyway." He'll then look over at Dravok and watch him as he sniff's the pot. Dravok Swiftblade : Dravok shrugs and says "It smell pretty good..." Herschel Brokki: Done looking over the hall, Herschel moves back and grabs up the last living orc, not unkindly, and brings him over to the group. "This one seems to be more cooperative, why not ask him what traps they have laid?" He sets the orc at Dravok's feet and looks at the others waiting momentarily before inspecting the door in question, if he sees nothing dangerous he will rap on it with his maul. "Hullo?" Herschel Brokki: Then listens quietly with a hand up to quiet the others. Dravok Swiftblade : Dravok looks at the orc, then gives him a firm kick in the ribs then shows his teeth and points at his fangs and nods. He then says "Snurka furk burk turk turk thurka gurk!! Wurka tonk gurk nurk a furk fonk!! Hork tok a thok o kork a dur" Asking the orc where the children are, and tell us how this place is trapped, and to cooperate and you won't die slow and painful. Stumblebum: Stumblebum takes up a position behind a pillar(?) to get both a view and a shooting angle into the room if the door opens. Leanna looks down the corridor to just spot 4 old oaken doors. When Herschel glanced down the corridor, he spotted 4 old oaken doors and the corridor appears to empty into another room at the end. After Herschel raps on the door and calls out, silence is the only response he receives. Stumblebum stands behind urns full of old ash as it appears they use to hold fire inside them. The orc huddles and tries to cringe away from the abuse that Dravok is inflicting on it. The orc cries out "Huk, Huk nal ug lurk kak. Runk tik nar umpt nik, Murk purk nar nark." Dravok Swiftblade : Dravok pats the orc on the shoulder and nods to him. "The children may be alive.. The dead orc took them down the hall, but he knows nothing more, and knows of no traps..." he says to the group.. Dravok turns his back and walks away from the orc scouting the room. Stumblebum: 'Well then, shall we advance down the hall?" Rorkhan Flameaxe: OOC: Which hallway is he referring to? Stumblebum tears some strips of cloth from the dead orcs, pours a little oil on them and warps them tightly around one of the longer broken chair legs. He'll move back to the fire and light the torch and then get in line behind the bravest of us.