Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Podcasting...?

I am part of a group who want to run a 3.5e D&D podcast where we will be using screen capturing software to capture the audio and video and then providing it as an audio only and an audio/video podcast as well as some live played sessions through services like Twitch. I have a a couple of concerns about this.  Would we be violating any of Roll20's Term's of Service? We would want to use some of the awesome assets from the Roll20 Marketplace in the game. Would this be be a problem? I am wondering if we would run into licensing issues...  Are there any other legal/Roll20 concerns that I have no thought of?  Thanks! 
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
People are live streaming on twitch already and there are posting on youtube also. Are you planning on selling these podcasts? If not then there probably will be no problem but if you are looking to sell them as a subscription service then I don't know. That is something the mods and dev's would have to talk about.
I'm not planning on selling them through any sort of subscription service. Though there may be small ad revenues from YouTube and such but nothing big I would think?
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
The dev's are live streaming on twitch when they game and there is a thread somewhere in the "On topic" board that has a list of other games being streamed also.  There is a roll20 wiki page about live streaming  Live_Stream_and_Record_Game_Sessions . There are freeware that you can use instead of the xplit they list on the page.
There is definitely a precedent for live streaming. I'm more concerned with the podcasting aspect.  
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
The devs make podcasts also so I don't think there should be any problem but I could be wrong.  New Public Orr Group Podcast 6! 6/12
Podcast and stream away. And there are already other people live streaming (such as the Rollplay folks) who are doing it with ads and subscriptions via Twitch and generation income from it. We are fine with that.
Great! So even if marketplace materials show up in these games thats ok? All legitmately purchased of course!
I think the creators would love it if you used their products live on stream. I don't think that's a big issue. You advertise how cool the content looks, so somebody else might buy it after viewing it live. That's just me though.
Lorien Wright
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Dakota G. said: Great! So even if marketplace materials show up in these games thats ok? All legitmately purchased of course! If I recall correctly Roll20 has the final say on such things but I personally don't mind if my products are used :)  In fact I'd be quite flattered if folks could see my art in action.
Saul Wynne
Pro
Marketplace Creator
 In fact I'd be quite flattered if folks could see my art in action.  I agree with Phillip, - I would love to see how my marketplace sets are used.
Ha! Phillip and Saul, I'm glad both of you responded! I've been looking at using some content from each of you! 
Saul Wynne
Pro
Marketplace Creator
That worked out well then Dakota, when you've got it going - post up a link, so we can all enjoy.
Greg Taylor (Greytale)
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Thumbs up here. I don't see any problems with using my content (either from the marketplace or my free content) in a podcast. It would actually be pretty damn cool, and similar to what Saul said, it would be very informative to see it in use.