Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

The updated Ruler Tool

I see that the ruler tool has been updated for allowing a set of different units. That is nice. What I wonder is: would it be possible to allow users to write the units they want (100% custom units), instead offering a few of them (partial customization of units, the current situation)? While Meters is a good unit, I'd need Yards for GURPS tactical maps, for instance. Also, I'm having issues with the units not allowing fractional values. Right now I find it hard to explain, but the thing is that if in Page Settings I set the hexgrid with Size: 1 units, Roll20 renders very small hexes and I need to sacrifice map and token image size and quality for actually being able to fit things inside the hexes --and for appreciating the tokens I need to put the Zoom to 140 or 150%. For this reason I started to set my Roll20 maps at 1 hex=2 units. That makes things to work well and it's much more easier. But then, since in GURPS --again, for instance-- each hexagon is 1 yard, I'd need to specify, in Page Settings, that each unit is 1/2 yard. In this way, since each one of my hexagons amounts to 2 units, that would be 1 hex=1 yard. The problem is that current Page Settings > Scale options isn't allowing fractional numbers (see the screenshot for an example of what it doesn't allow) ): If in the Scale: 1 unit field I type 1/2 or 0.5 (picking meters, or any other measure of the available ones), when I click OK, Roll20 simply reads 1 and 0 respectively, spoiling thus the measuring capability of the ruler by making it unable to draw correctly the distances in the hexmap: a value of 1 displays that each hexagon is 2.1 meters, while a value of 0 displays any distance as 0 meters. I'd like to be able to explain this more briefly, but however you can see this in the screenshots. Summarizing: 1) The Scale should allow fractional numbers 2) It shouldn't be difficult to allow empty fields regarding the units, for the users typing whatever measure they need, instead offering to them just: ft., m., km., mi.
Alicia
Sheet Author
Star Wars Saga in particular equates 1sq (unit for roll20 purposes) as 1.5 meters so being able to have the maps match this would be wonderful.
I agree very much with this about the Ruler and the Grid Units. Support for complete custom units and fractional numbers will make the Roll20 app more rules agnostic, versatile, and useful for more people.
Bumping this thread for updating the current state of things: The reported issue that forced me to use two units per hex grid cell has become a non-issue, because my need for that in Roll20 was due to a graphical bug that we discovered yesterday. The devs fixed it almost immediately! More info about that bug here, "Roll20 Crops Down and Blurs Tokens?": <a href="http://community.roll20.net/discussion/2241/roll20-crops-down-and-blurs-tokens#Item_1" rel="nofollow">http://community.roll20.net/discussion/2241/roll20-crops-down-and-blurs-tokens#Item_1</a> — Still, I keep my suggestion of allowing true custom measurement units for the Ruler Tool, like for instance, Feet, Yards, Parsecs, Codos, Brazas . . . whatever the RPG system being used requires.
Thanks for the suggestion, though it would be great if you did a quick search before starting new suggestion threads. There are 20+ threads already about changes to the ruler tool including updates from the devs on plans in this area: <a href="http://community.roll20.net/googlesearch?q=ruler" rel="nofollow">http://community.roll20.net/googlesearch?q=ruler</a>