Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Rhyme or Reason to Shape Placement?

Is there any particular logic to how items are added to the map? Slowly loosing patience tonight creating the content for my game session tomorrow. I keep dragging things from the art library to the map screen and it seems to randomly decide where to place them? At times I have to search around the map to find shapes that didn't even land on the current visible space. Have you consider implementing a sort of stencil feature for groups of shapes? Sort of like what Microsoft did with Visio? That way you could group a set of objects you use all the time together like modular dungeon pieces and have a side bar with them. Sort of like what you can do now with tag searching; however, you could make them render smaller and maybe make more of them visible at the same time?
I think you are expecting too much from Roll20. It is a virtual tabletop program, not basically a map making one. Whilst it can certainly let you add parts of maps or objects, it doesn't have the features for mapmaking you would find in the different ProFantasy programs, Dundjinni or even Photoshop and GIMP. Maybe you should consider making the basis of your maps outside of Roll20 and use it for placing, moving or drawing objects and tokens upon that map.
This is a problem that has been reported, and Riley said he hopes to have it fixed so that they'll be dropped where the mouse releases them.
Chris, Thanks for letting me know it was being tracked.
This is fixed as of earlier today, btw. Sorry it took so long.