Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

I'd like to be able to have my players trigger a map change, is this possible?

I'd like to be able to have my players trigger a map change, is this possible? The basic idea is that they'd move their token onto a specific portion of the map (square trigger, polygon, etc) they are on to transition between two maps. More specifically: One inside map to another, different levels of a dungeon. One inside map to outside or the reverse, inside a store to a city view. One outside/city level map, to an area level map. I have API access and can write reasonably complex js.
Are you implying that the single player would see the changes or would it affect the group as a whole>
I hadn't considered transitioning the whole group, but I guess someone might. I wanted to do one player at a time.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Moving players to specific pages can be dine by writing to the campaign object's playerspecificpages property. This will move a player's view, but not their token. Tokens are tied to the page they are created on. You can creat a new token on the new page with identical settings PROVIDED the image used for the token is in a User Library. (Market Place content cannot be created by the API currently. )
The Aaron said: Moving players to specific pages can be dine by writing to the campaign object's playerspecificpages property. This will move a player's view, but not their token. Tokens are tied to the page they are created on. You can creat a new token on the new page with identical settings PROVIDED the image used for the token is in a User Library. (Market Place content cannot be created by the API currently. ) If I drag the player onto each map such that the token associated with the player is on each map, is it possible to hide/show those tokens depending on which map a player is on? So, if Bill is in Longsaddle and goes into Sixhorn's Select Wares, even though all the tokens are available on that map (I've placed them there previously) I only show Bill because only he has an associated token on that map?
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
You certainly can. You'd want to put all the tokens on the gm layer, then move them to the objects layer as they are placed in that page.
Awesome thanks. I've wanted a reason to learn the API (and I guess underscore js) and this looks like it.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
I highly recommend JavaScript: the Good Parts by Douglas Crockford. It's a short book chocked full of great information on writing JavaScript.

Edited 1436873750
DXWarlock
Sheet Author
API Scripter
The Aaron said: I highly recommend JavaScript: the Good Parts by Douglas Crockford. It's a short book chocked full of great information on writing JavaScript. I'm beginning to suspect you get a commission off each sale of that book :) In all seriousiness Id recommend it also, Im still figuring out the latter 1/2 of it, but he recommended it to me. And I realized i was doing ALL kinds of things wrong.
Thanks for the recommendation, I'm currently reading Build your own AngularJS, but I will check it out when I'm done.