Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Pre-order D&D 2024 now and get an exclusive bonus, only on Roll20!
Create a free account

Multi-level Maps

What's the best way to deal with multilevel maps? The wiki seems to suggest that each level should be its own map (and you can use c/p to build up layers). The problem is that players will often span maps. There's no way to send one player to one map and another player to another. I can "tile" them, but that makes going from one map to another very hard, especially if the maps are large. For my next use case, I'll need about 4 levels for an area about 200x200 squares. (Blame Pathfinder and its super-long ranges for the necessity.) If I tile that, then the players are having to load 400x400 square space and zoom around in it. Many of the levels will have "holes" that view into levels above or below them, so measuring distance is anything but trivial. I figure this is probably a common problem (multi-level inns, whatnot) so hopefully people have some favourite solutions? How do you deal with altitude?
When I made my Inn with base 30*90, it had also four levels, and I used tokens all over the place, floors, walls, furniture, etc. I made level one, copied the base, pasted the base three times (need bigger area to account for inaccuracy when pasting, I expanded to 400 in length, and pasted it in a guaranteed free room, so that I could easily mark it again, and move it.) Then made all the walls on the token layer, copied and pasted to have a basic start. Made all the modifactions I wanted, then sent the whole shabang to the map layer. Then did the furniture in the token layer, and sent it back to map layer. Then I did the dynamic lighting layer.&nbsp; Yes, it does take a while to load (sometimes it hangs for some seconds, even), but it's much more practical in terms of gameplay. Also, if you do this with the help of anything that makes this one piece of art, there's really no problem with the loading either. IE Gimp has a good guide on the Wiki.&nbsp; <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Mapping_with_Gimp" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Mapping_with_Gimp</a> &nbsp; I would never create one event in different pages. Then it's better to have 800-2000 unit map imo. Roll20 isn't that slow. And keep in mind that I use a computer with integrated GPU...&nbsp; Only "problem" with this, is that you need to go to 10% zoom every time the party is split, to find them and zoom back :-)&nbsp; For altitude, we use one of the circles. Normally we have CMD, HP, AC, but when altitude is relevant, we use Altitude, HP, AC.&nbsp;
Also, where did you see the Wiki says you should keep levels spread across mutiple pages? Sounds impractical..