Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

New Update 7/22: Interface Initiative, 3D Dice Agency and Sounds, Roll Query Prompts, and more!

Edited 1437598899
Riley D.
Roll20 Team
Hello everyone! We're pleased to announce that our Interface Initiative update is live! This is one of the largest overhauls to the Roll20 experience we've ever done, and we're very excited to share it with you. New Site Design The first thing you'll notice is that we have a new site layout and design. We've kept the same basic site functionality, but we've re-skinned things to hopefully make it look a little more modern and easier to use for new players and power users alike. The new landing page acts as a portal to everything Roll20, including your most recent games, the newest Marketplace offerings, and news from the Dev Team. The Marketplace has been totally overhauled to provide better searching options and a design that matches the main site. The Campaign details page has been laid out to emphasize the most-used options for most players and GMs, and the site menu has been reworked to be more consistent and provide quick-access to things like your most recent games right from the menu bar. We'll be working to improve and iterate on this design in the coming weeks, and if you have feedback on the design itself you can hop into this thread where we've been working with the community to further refine things:&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/2215323/new-desi" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/2215323/new-desi</a>... Site Translations Along with the new design, we've set up large portions of the site to be able to be translated for foreign languages. We've got some amazing community members who are working right now to translate the site into other languages, and we'll be rolling those translations out over the next few week! We are still working on the in-app translation system, but the site outside the app should largely be translated very soon. 3D Dice Agency + Sounds Now when rolling 3D Dice you have complete control over how they are rolled. When you roll 3D Dice, you'll be given the ability to click-and-drag to indicate the direction and force with which the dice are thrown. This directly affects the outcome of the dice roll, and all other players will see the roll you made as well. If you want to use the old "auto roll" method, there's a new setting in the My Settings tab to "automatically roll" the 3D Dice. You'll also notice that we've added sounds for the 3D Dice that you'll hear as you gather the dice and roll them on the table. 3D Dice Interaction Changes In addition to the new agency, we've also changed the basic interaction with the 3D Dice. Now, the dice will stay on the tabletop after you roll them until you either a) interact with the tabletop (e.g. clicking), or b) make another roll. No more disappearing dice after a few short seconds! 3D Percentile Dice Yes, it finally happened; we've added support for D100 percentile dice to the 3D Dice engine! Now when you roll a D100 you'll see two D10's roll on the tabletop. Note that currently they are still using the "standard" D10 skin, so you'll see the sides are 1-10 rather than 0-9. However, the 10 will be treated like a 0 correctly when the dice result is calculated. API Changes We've made some improvements to the API server as well, outlined here:&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/2212062/api-upda" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/2212062/api-upda</a>... Drop-Down Prompts for Roll Queries We've added a new feature to the Roll Queries which allows you to specify a list of options which can be presented to the player, rather than only a free-form text field. Here's the syntax: ?{Name of Query|Option1|Option2|Option3|Option4|Option5} You can also specify a different value for the result other than label like so: ?{Name of Query|Label 1,value1|Label 2,value2}
Regarding roll queries with dropdown prompts... you cannot simply hit enter when it pops up and use the default value. This behavior does not match with single value roll queries and existing behavior.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Riley D. said: 3D Percentile Dice Yes, it finally happened; we've added support for D100 percentile dice to the 3D Dice engine! Now when you roll a D100 you'll see two D10's roll on the tabletop. Note that currently they are still using the "standard" D10 skin, so you'll see the sides are 1-10 rather than 0-9. However, the 10 will be treated like a 0 correctly when the dice result is calculated. Great job! &nbsp;Thanks for all changes (even the design update). &nbsp;x-P Will a die be added to the top of the Dice Roller for d100?
HoneyBadger said: Regarding roll queries with dropdown prompts... you cannot simply hit enter when it pops up and use the default value. This behavior does not match with single value roll queries and existing behavior. I think they fixed it now. I love this new functionality. It's ace! The only thing is that I'm wondering, if it's possible to use either label or value in the macro depending on what you need? This would be awesome. I could create a list then use the values in inline rolls and labels in chat output. Something like: @{selected|token_name} is testing his&nbsp; @{ ?{Choose skill|Strength,@{selected|S}|Agility,@{selected|AG}|Will Power,@{selected|WP} |label} ( @{ ?{Choose skill} |value} )! Sample output: Conan is testing his Strength (18)! Imagine the possibilities!
I really doubt it,&nbsp; but I would love to know if the drop-down label can be output separately from the drop-down data without requiring two separate prompts. Given:&nbsp; ?{Prompt:| Label1, Data1 | Label2,Data2} Output: Blah did [Label1] for [Data1] damage.

Edited 1437762207
@Mark G. I have just found that you do not have to repeat the data portion when you call the dropdown again later in the macro. That's not exactly what you are looking for but it helps to clean up a macro. So you can have ?{Prompt:| Label1, Data1 | Label2,Data2} and then call the data again later with just ?{Prompt:| Label1| Label2}. It also calculates the prompt first so I can use it to get around the 3D dice not working with multiple inline rolls bug. -bonus.

Edited 1437762334
Riley D.
Roll20 Team
Ed S. said: @Mark G. I have just found that you do not have to repeat the data portion when you call the dropdown again later in the macro. That's not exactly what you are looking for but it helps to clean up a macro. so you can have ?{Prompt:| Label1, Data1 | Label2,Data2} and then call the data again later with just ?{Prompt:| Label1| Label2}. Good point! I had forgotten about that. If you re-call a Roll Query later in the same command with the same name, it will just auto-insert that value again. I don't even think you have to re-provide the options. You can just do ?{Prompt:} later on and it will put out the value that was chosen. I don't think it will exactly help with what Mark wants to do but it's a good tip to keep in mind for sure.

Edited 1437763112
Loving the dropdown query prompts. Having some issues when trying to do more complicated macros with it, however. I can nest macros using #macroname just fine, and likewise reference character abilities like %{selected|Attack}. However, I get issues if I try to use one with a roll built in to the character sheet, as is common in the Pathfinder sheet (and more relevantly, the modified version I use to accommodate my houserules). For example, the sheet has a roll named "%{selected|weapon_0_Power-Attack-roll}", which is being used to replace the very excessively long attack macro I use. It's then used as part of a macro called "Chain-Attack", which is: /em : Krumshak lashes out at @{target|token_name} with cruel chains! %{selected|weapon_0_Power-Attack-roll} If I make a dropdown query that goes "?{Attack|Chain, %{Krumshak|weapon_0_Power-Attack-roll}| ..." then it doesn't give a drop down box at all, instead popping up with a target box, then making a standard query box with the default input of "Chain, /em : Krumshak lashes out at Kevin with cruel chains!&{template:pf_attack". If I remove the first line of %Chain-Attack, instead I get a query box with the input of "Chain, &{template:pf_attack". I suspect it's simply not playing nicely with the roll templates for whatever reason. I shall experiment. EDIT: Testing seems to confirm it's the roll templates breaking it. I copied the text of a similar in-sheet roll (%{selected|weapon_0_Attack-roll}): &{template:pf_attack} {{character_name=@{character_name}}} {{character_id=@{character_id}}} {{name=@{weapon_0_name}}} {{attack=[[1d20cs&gt;@{weapon_0_crit-target} + [[(@{weapon_0_proficiency} + (((@{weapon_0_enhance} + @{weapon_0_masterwork}) + abs(@{weapon_0_enhance} - @{weapon_0_masterwork})) / 2) + @{weapon_0_attack} + @{weapon_0_attack-type} + @{armor-proficiency})]]]]}} {{damage=[[@{weapon_0_damage-dice-num}d@{weapon_0_damage-die} + [[@{weapon_0_damage-ability} + @{weapon_0_damage} + @{weapon_0_enhance}]]]]}} {{crit_confirm=[[1d20 + [[(@{weapon_0_proficiency} + (((@{weapon_0_enhance} + @{weapon_0_masterwork}) + abs(@{weapon_0_enhance} - @{weapon_0_masterwork})) / 2) + @{weapon_0_attack} + @{weapon_0_attack-type} + @{armor-proficiency})]]]]}} {{crit_damage=[[[[(@{weapon_0_damage-dice-num} * (@{weapon_0_crit-multiplier} - 1))]]d@{weapon_0_damage-die} + [[(@{weapon_0_damage-ability} + @{weapon_0_damage} + @{weapon_0_enhance} * (@{weapon_0_crit-multiplier} - 1))]]]]}} {{type=@{weapon_0_type}}} {{description=@{weapon_0_notes}}} and put it into the %Chain-Attack macro, above. Same results.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Travis, maybe related to this? New Roll Query Dropdown ends early on paired braces.
Vince said: Travis, maybe related to this? New Roll Query Dropdown ends early on paired braces. I knew I should have probably checked the bug reports forum first. I'm just used to testing the new stuff when it comes out on dev, and posting issues there instead.
Ooh! Cool! Dropdowns! Sorry, just had to get that out there. O_O Seriously, those will be awesome for several things I'm thinking of.
Robert M. said: Ooh! Cool! Dropdowns! Sorry, just had to get that out there. O_O Seriously, those will be awesome for several things I'm thinking of. Yay! :-)
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Any way we can get that name + value stuff from roll queries into &lt;select&gt; tags? Would be super nice.
Mark said: Any way we can get that name + value stuff from roll queries into &lt;select&gt; tags? Would be super nice. I don't think I'm following what you mean...
Riley D. said: Mark said: Any way we can get that name + value stuff from roll queries into &lt;select&gt; tags? Would be super nice. I don't think I'm following what you mean... Not sure but I think he meant if we can extract label and value from the drop-down query prompt? I would like to know if that's possible also please.
This is an awesome update, guys. I'm glad this place is thriving!
Lukasz K. said: Riley D. said: Mark said: Any way we can get that name + value stuff from roll queries into &lt;select&gt; tags? Would be super nice. I don't think I'm following what you mean... Not sure but I think he meant if we can extract label and value from the drop-down query prompt? I would like to know if that's possible also please. Exactly, if we could return the label or the value separately that would open up so many more possibilities. Example ?{Casting|Ice, freezing shards|Fire,red hot jets} Joe uses his ?{Casting|Label} magic to cast out ?{Casting|Value} at the enemy.&nbsp; So that sentence could be ...uses his Ice magic to cast out freezing shards... or uses his Fire magic to cast out red hot jets... It would give a lot more value to the single query.&nbsp;
Ed S. said: Lukasz K. said: Riley D. said: Mark said: Any way we can get that name + value stuff from roll queries into &lt;select&gt; tags? Would be super nice. I don't think I'm following what you mean... Not sure but I think he meant if we can extract label and value from the drop-down query prompt? I would like to know if that's possible also please. Exactly, if we could return the label or the value separately that would open up so many more possibilities. Example ?{Casting|Ice, freezing shards|Fire,red hot jets} Joe uses his ?{Casting|Label} magic to cast out ?{Casting|Value} at the enemy.&nbsp; So that sentence could be ...uses his Ice magic to cast out freezing shards... or uses his Fire magic to cast out red hot jets... It would give a lot more value to the single query.&nbsp; Since my previous post I've discovered a way to partly achieve this (kind of). What you need to do is use the fact that dropdown value can utilize stats and html entities, so that you can format your value in a way that will show the label name simply by repeating it in the value, then use html entities to manipulate inline rolls using character stats and query prompts inside the same value, like I did with my damage macro: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/2159164/post-you" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/2159164/post-you</a>...
Ed S. said: Lukasz K. said: Riley D. said: Mark said: Any way we can get that name + value stuff from roll queries into &lt;select&gt; tags? Would be super nice. I don't think I'm following what you mean... Not sure but I think he meant if we can extract label and value from the drop-down query prompt? I would like to know if that's possible also please. Exactly, if we could return the label or the value separately that would open up so many more possibilities. Example ?{Casting|Ice, freezing shards|Fire,red hot jets} Joe uses his ?{Casting|Label} magic to cast out ?{Casting|Value} at the enemy.&nbsp; So that sentence could be ...uses his Ice magic to cast out freezing shards... or uses his Fire magic to cast out red hot jets... It would give a lot more value to the single query.&nbsp; This would be even cooler if you could call the result of the drop-down multiple times, but have it output completely different things each time. So, you could call it at the beginning of the macro and have it output some flavor text and then reference it later, but rather than it outputting flavor text again it outputs the result of an action. So it would be something like ?{Query1|Option1, Vanilla| Option2, Chocolate} Stuff Stuff And more stuff ?{Query1|Option1, +1 to defense|Option2, +2 to attack}

Edited 1442373819
Is there any way to turn the hovering campaign name back to the way it was before the Interface Initiative? It ghosts out the bottom third of the campaign picture, making the image unclear. It also makes any use of text on the picture impossible.