Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[Bug] Issue with Grouping then Moving Group without first Selecting Group

Bug Description:  After grouping, if you try to click-drag a group without first selecting it, the object on top (or object you click-drag) moves away from the other. The objects remain grouped, but they do not maintain their position relative to each other, and the area of the group increases in the process. To Reproduce:  In my test, I placed a torch token as a light source, and a character token on top of it. I then drag-selected both and grouped them. I then clicked away from the group on an unoccupied area to deselect the group, then tried to click-drag the group. Result: the top (character) token moved away from the torch token.  In another test I placed both token in adjacent squares, selected one and shift-clicked the other to select it, and finally grouped both. I then click clicked away from the group on an unoccupied area to deselect the group, then tried to click-drag one of the tokens.  Result: the token I click-dragged moved away from the other token, yielding the same results as the first test. Workaround:  Either 1) make sure you first select the group, and then click-drag, or 2) if you forget and click-drag first, undo the move, select the group, then click-drag. System Specifics: Win7 / Chrome v27.0.1453.116 / Flash v11.7.700 / an old fart at the helm :) On a related note, I'm not sure if it's a bug or not, but when the two tokens are grouped you lose the token status bubbles, settings icon, etc.  If it's not a bug, my suggestion would be to use the status bubbles and values of the first object selected for the group (or the topmost object if they're on top of each other).
Okay we'll look into it!
Gauss
Forum Champion
The way grouped objects currently work is that in order to move a single object within the group you click on it once. In order to move the entire group you click on the group twice. To bring up status bubbles etc hold Alt while clicking on a grouped object.  Note: all of the above assume the group is not currently selected. - Gauss
Thanks for the tips Gauss. I have to assume there are some types of games (perhaps wargaming?) in which what you describe is necessary. To me it seems counter-intuitive. If I group something and then try to move it I expect it to move as a group....that's why I grouped it in the first place. At any rate, I was told to post this as a bug after testing to confirm. If it is deemed to be 'working as expected' then I will teach myself and my players to work within the bounds of the expected behavior...to first click the group, and then click-drag (or use the ever-handy undo ;) I followed your tip on the status bubbles (using Alt while clicking the group) and indeed they do pop up. I was also pleased to find that what I had suggested above is already the way they work...i.e. the topmost object's status bubbles are displayed. I tested by switching which token was on top ('to front' selected), and the status bubbles that popped up were always for the one selected to be on top. Thanks again! Cheers :)