Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
×

Whisper autocompletes to monsters

So I created a character page in the journal for some important monsters, being careful they don't appear in player journals. Right now they only show in my (GM) journal, so that's fine. What's not so fine is that my players can whisper to them. Just now one player (Gnork the Destroyer) tried typing /w s , which resulted in autocomplete suggesting /w skeleton . This gives out information to the players they should not have.  Is this intentional? There are of course work-arounds, but seems to me that this shouldn't be possible. Minor bug if bug, just reporting to be sure.
1372779743
Gid
Roll20 Team
I'll let the Devs know about this, thanks Sjoerd.
If you set the token as being controlled by you, do you see the message that is whispered to them? I only ask as I could find several uses for that feature that would mess with my players in a fun way.
Whispering to monsters controlled by me (actually, controlled by noone and therefore by the DM) just leads to this: "It seems like you are trying to whisper to yourself. Are you insane?" I'll have to ask one of my players to try whispering to some monsters :P Will let you know the outcome.
Nope, whisper just says whom its from, not to which monster. Sorry Phisto, I tried !
1373342206
Gauss
Forum Champion
This should be fixed now. Players should no longer be able to autocomplete Journal entries they cannot see.  - Gauss
Phisto R. said: If you set the token as being controlled by you, do you see the message that is whispered to them? I only ask as I could find several uses for that feature that would mess with my players in a fun way. Yes. Whoever can control a Character can see the messages sent to that Character. You can send messages "from" that Character using the "Send As:" drop-down below the chat box.
Phisto R. said: If you set the token as being controlled by you, do you see the message that is whispered to them? I only ask as I could find several uses for that feature that would mess with my players in a fun way. I use this to use languages. I have a "character sheet" named ie Elven, with the players who can speak elven able to edit it (edit only, not in the journal, for less clutter for them). This way if I or they whisper to elven, only those who can speak elven gets it :-) Example: /w elven Those dwarves smell bad :-)
Leif Egil R. said: Phisto R. said: If you set the token as being controlled by you, do you see the message that is whispered to them? I only ask as I could find several uses for that feature that would mess with my players in a fun way. I use this to use languages. I have a "character sheet" named ie Elven, with the players who can speak elven able to edit it (edit only, not in the journal, for less clutter for them). This way if I or they whisper to elven, only those who can speak elven gets it :-) Example: /w elven Those dwarves smell bad :-) Oh cool, great idea!