Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Cannot See Other Character Sheets in the Journal

I have never encountered this issue before, but I'm a member of two different campaigns, and the GM has set the character sheets to be viewable by all players, but I cannot access any character sheets other than my own. Only the bio and info tab shows up. No other tabs appear. In my own campaigns, this is a non-issue as players are able to access other characters' sheets normally in the journal. Is this a bug with the new rollout, or am I missing something?
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Wiki page on Journals In Player's Journals By default, only the GM sees the Character. To allow other Players to see the Character in their Journal tab, add their names to the "In Players Journals" field. You can also choose "All Players" to allow everyone to view the Character. Players who can view the Character will see the name, avatar, and any text typed on the Character's Bio & Info tab . Can Be Edited & Controlled By The Controlled By field allows you to give Players in your game the ability to "speak" as that Character in the Text Chat. They are also able to edit the Character's information if they control it . In addition, if you use the Represents Character feature of the Tokens Settings, players who have permission to control this Character will also be able to control any tokens that represent this character. You can also choose "All Players" to allow everyone to control or edit the Character. In addition, if the game uses Character Sheets , players who have permission to edit this Character will be able to view and edit the Character Sheet tab.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Have the GM double check his settings and make sure you are assigned to both fields.
Wow. I have only served as a GM in the past, so this was my first time seeing this from the player's perspective. I had no idea that players have to be given full editing and potential control over another character in order to see the other tabs of that character sheet. I don't think that's appropriate at all. There should be a read-only option that allows the other players to see each other's complete character sheets and all tabs without granting them full control and editing capabilities. At least this clears it up for now, so thanks for the response. But please consider adding a more refined option. I was not aware that my players could not see other players' full sheets, and I want them to have full access without giving them editing and control. Also, this is important for mentoring other players. We are organizing sessions for new players, and I wanted to be able to help the GM check players' sheets, offer feedback, and answer questions about the sheets. And players can learn from seeing each other's sheets in detail as well. But it's better to avoid granting control and editing capabilities.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
I agree with you about it would be nice to see all the tabs especially considering how much work goes into them (my personal opinion only) but you might want to type up a suggestion and post it. Normally for my games I don't use the premade sheets but just turn the first tab (bio & info tab) into a text character sheet and build all the stuff on the other tab including the macros (if I use any) that are customized for my specific game but then again I run rules light text games with inline dice rolls so macros are not a big thing.