Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Using Roll20 Face to Face

Hi Is there a way to use Roll20 purely as a face to face utility? I've a map I want to show on a monitor along with the fog of war. On my laptop monitor, I (GM) have the full map, but what I display on the external (pc's) monitor, is their map, complete with fog of war Can this be done? Thanks
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Just copying across these from the 'new to Roll20 thread' as a starting point: Pat S. said: Many people hook up another computer or tablet to a separate monitor or tv and use it that way. If you are talking about using one laptop and two monitors (laptop and a second monitor), I'm not sure. GenKitty said: Mark J, the way I've seen have the best success is the GM is logged into GM's account on GM's computer, and then a secondary machine is logged into a 'player' (free) account to display the player's view either on that machine or a projector/TV hooked up to the player machine. This allows GM secrets to stay secrets. If you search the forums, you'll see a handful or two of threads on the subject. If you need additional help, feel free to start a thread in Specific Questions :) Remember as well that you don't even need 2 machines, one with 2 browser tabs open will do it... simply have a player account or the GM account but logged as a player on the second screen, the downside being that the players would be reliant on the GM for mouse/keyboard input as opposed to the wireless mouse/keyboard on a second machine method.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Ziechael said: Remember as well that you don't even need 2 machines, one with 2 browser tabs open will do it... simply have a player account or the GM account but logged as a player on the second screen, the downside being that the players would be reliant on the GM for mouse/keyboard input as opposed to the wireless mouse/keyboard on a second machine method. That was why I said I wasn't sure. I've never tried using only one computer with two browsers (plus I was thinking chromecast also for some wierd reason). Fatigue makes ones brain go to mush sometimes.
Gold
Forum Champion
I've used Roll20 for a bit of face-to-face. If you have any specific questions about it feel free to ask. We're happy with using an upright regular TV to display a 2nd browser that's logged-on Player's view of Roll20. My groups with use Tokens-on-screen as the Miniature figures, or sometimes we aren't looking at a scale map at all, but instead it's pictures, dice, and character sheets. There are other groups who really prefer a table-laid map, perhaps to move plastic & metal miniatures on top, and for that style folks have used a top-down Projector to cast the Roll20 map onto a table, or, build a TV as a table for a playing surface. There are youtube videos showing people doing this.
I think the 2 open browsers might be the way to go here Thanks all for the recommendtions