Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Simple Multiple Monster Saving Throws

The players in my D&D5E game are throwing around a lot of spells that affect multiple targets and it does slow the game down, so I needed to write a macro that does multiple saves in one go. I've written a macro that can show something like the image below. It asks for the type of Save using a dropdown for STR|DEX|CON|WIS|INT|CHAR and then asks for the Modifier (defaulting +2) and then asks for the DC (defaulting 15) and then shows a fixed number of d20 rolls. The macro is... &{template:default} {{name=?{Type of Save|STR|DEX|CON|WIS|INT|CHAR} Saving Throws}} {{Modifier=?{Modifier|+2}}} {{DC=?{DC|15}}} {{Bare roll victim 01=[[1d20]]}} {{Bare roll victim 02=[[1d20]]}} {{Bare roll victim 03=[[1d20]]}} {{Bare roll victim 04=[[1d20]] | }} {{Bare roll victim 05=[[1d20]]}} I'm posting it in the hopes it will be of interest to other DMs but also to get some advice from people who understand macros better than I do. Question 1: Is there any way to use the modifier that the user types in, in each of the subsequent rolls ? I'd much rather have the numbers shown including their bonus. I'm mostly intending to use this for a group of monsters of the same type, so one modifier should be enough. Question 2: Is there any way to use the target number (DC) to show the words SUCCESS or FAILURE alongside each roll (and ideally still show the roll). I'm only a Supporter so can't use the API.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
You can repeat a Roll Query to reuse its value. There isn't a way to make it show success or fail, but you could make it show the green border on success: &{template:default} {{name=?{Type of Save|STR|DEX|CON|WIS|INT|CHAR} Saving Throws}} {{Modifier=?{Modifier|+2}}} {{DC=?{DC|15}}} {{Bare roll victim 01=[[ 1d20cs>[[?{DC}-?{Modifier}]] ]]}} ... You can get much more complicated that this, but that's the gist of it. 
Thanks "The Aaron" - that works fine. I just hadn't spotted that you could refer to the Modifier by name without it prompting for the value again. My macro is now set to... &{template:default} {{name=?{Type of Save|DEX|STR|CON|WIS|INT|CHAR} Saving Throws}} {{Modifier=?{Modifier|+2}}} {{DC=?{DC|15}}} {{Victim 01=[[1d20?{Modifier}]]}} {{Victim 02=[[1d20?{Modifier}]]}} {{Victim 03=[[1d20?{Modifier}]]}} {{Victim 04=[[1d20?{Modifier}]]}} {{Victim 05=[[1d20?{Modifier}]]}} I can even blank out the modifier if it is zero and the macro still works. As I have to make a lot of DEX Saves, I've made that my default. And look at this for the result of my very first test (pity about Victim 5, but the rest of them just rolled with it).
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Here's a macro for multiple-target saving throws.
Thanks Silvyre - This one looks great except it relies on me using the 5e Character Sheet for the monsters and NPCs. So far only the players have used the sheets, I create monsters with just a few stats HP and Init and write their AC into one of the token Bars. Then I create Macros for each attack and spell. I'll definitely give the NPC version of the 5e sheet a try and see if it is much more setup work.
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Here's a version of that macro that doesn't require that tokens be linked to a D&D 5e Shaped Character Sheet.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Mick H. said: Thanks Silvyre - This one looks great except it relies on me using the 5e Character Sheet for the monsters and NPCs. So far only the players have used the sheets, I create monsters with just a few stats HP and Init and write their AC into one of the token Bars. Then I create Macros for each attack and spell. I'll definitely give the NPC version of the 5e sheet a try and see if it is much more setup work. It would definitely be less work than writing a macro for each attack. It's quite easy to setup a very basic monster: stats, hp, ac. You can always continue to ignore things like resistances and just reference elsewhere for those. The importer, of course, makes this easier as well, but requires Pro.
Thanks both - Silvyre's "unlinked" version is fantastic - lets me pick 6 monsters then asks for their modifiers 1 at a time by their token names (which will let me use it for mixed groups of monsters after all) then shows the usual D&D5E two rolls for each monster so I can see Normal, Advantaged or Disadvantaged. I'll definitely try the sheets for NPCs and creatures in future too.  If only Wiz of the Coast (and Roll20) could provide us with an import of all basic monsters and spells in Roll20 format - I could spend a lot more time running adventures (Wizards would then make even more money out of me)  and less on the mechanical prep. Then I might even get around to writing a 5E module for Roll20 perhaps splitting the income with Roll20 & Wizards.
Mick H. said: Thanks "The Aaron" - that works fine. I just hadn't spotted that you could refer to the Modifier by name without it prompting for the value again. My macro is now set to... &{template:default} {{name=?{Type of Save|DEX|STR|CON|WIS|INT|CHAR} Saving Throws}} {{Modifier=?{Modifier|+2}}} {{DC=?{DC|15}}} {{Victim 01=[[1d20?{Modifier}]]}} {{Victim 02=[[1d20?{Modifier}]]}} {{Victim 03=[[1d20?{Modifier}]]}} {{Victim 04=[[1d20?{Modifier}]]}} {{Victim 05=[[1d20?{Modifier}]]}} I can even blank out the modifier if it is zero and the macro still works. As I have to make a lot of DEX Saves, I've made that my default. And look at this for the result of my very first test (pity about Victim 5, but the rest of them just rolled with it). Hey Mick H, is there a way to set the number of victims or am I missing an already existing way to do this? This macro seems like a real time saver for me I was just unsure how to use it if there was 4 or 6 victims...
Of course if there was  less than 5 victims that is easy, if there is more than 5 I could simply roll this macro twice, but it would be cool if you could have an imput for the number of victims.
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Allowing a choice for a variable number of victims could be done by nesting victim fields (with HTML entities) within a roll query. If that sounds too daunting, either macro I posted earlier in this thread allows for between one and six targets. However, since you're a Pro user, I'm going to suggest you look into PowerCards , with an emphasis on its Target Info Charms feature.
DK Heinrich
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
However, since you're a Pro user, I'm going to suggest you look into PowerCards , with an emphasis on its Target Info Charms feature. This.
PowerCard macros also have the bonus of being easier to read than roll template macros. :D