Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[META] Labeling threads with game system

Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
As a sheet author I try to be as responsive as I can to threads about my 5e Shaped Sheet. This can be difficult with generic titles like "Making better mooks" or "macro issues with attack". @Community: Please label your threads. [PF] [5e Shaped] [5e] [3.5] [SR] @Mods: I know it's a bit of work, but would this be something you guys could try to enforce? If we set a standard and the whole front page has labels then most uses will add their label.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I try to rename threads as i come across vague or non-sheet referenced ones already. While we can't enforce anything not set out by the devs we can certainly do our best to help make the lives easier for those who help contribute to the rich community spirit Roll20 has.
I see the biggest factor in this issue is one of infrequent presence.  The vast majority of users on Roll20 do not visit the forums very much, and there fore do not learn the common practices of the forums.  They show up, announce they have an issue, and once that issue is resolved, they leave (and go back to gaming).   I think this is a sign of a good thing; they are not suffering so many problems that they don't leave the forums.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Agreed that most users don't spend much time on the forum. However my point was that if users see that there is a standard way of titling a thread they would be more inclined to title their thread in such a way. But that requires the active community and moderators to add a clear label to every post (not just the ambiguous ones).
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Mark, in that spirit it would help if sheet makers made sure their sheets were titled.  Not just 'game system' but somewhere in the top or bottom margin 'SystemName sheet made by MakerName, Version X'.  I haven't had a chance to look at the 5e Shaped sheet, but I did just look at the four character sheets I do have access to: A very old Actoba's 5e, Fantasy AGE, 13th Age, and Dresden Files.  None of them have a maker name, two have a version number, one has a wiki link.  If you want users to ID their sheets when they post here, you need to give them an ID to use.  GMs will know the name of the sheet because they had to choose it but players don't have that information.  This is especially important for systems that have multiple sheets available, such as Pathfinder and 5e.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I agree on threads. I labeled mine as the "5e Shaped" sheet with versions done by date and a wiki. Same with my script.
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
GenKitty said: Mark, in that spirit it would help if sheet makers made sure their sheets were titled.  Not just 'game system' but somewhere in the top or bottom margin 'SystemName sheet made by MakerName, Version X'.  I haven't had a chance to look at the 5e Shaped sheet, but I did just look at the four character sheets I do have access to: A very old Actoba's 5e, Fantasy AGE, 13th Age, and Dresden Files.  None of them have a maker name, two have a version number, one has a wiki link.  If you want users to ID their sheets when they post here, you need to give them an ID to use.  GMs will know the name of the sheet because they had to choose it but players don't have that information.  This is especially important for systems that have multiple sheets available, such as Pathfinder and 5e. On the other hand, most  systems only have a single sheet anyway. It's pretty much D&D and Pathfinder that have the issue with trying to figure out which  sheet is being used.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
For the sake of trialling the effort I will endeavour to add a [] prefix to each thread for a time... first to see if it helps and second to see if it catches on with new posters. I'm kind like that :)
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
:D Thanks Ziechael! We can at least see how it goes.
Ziechael said: For the sake of trialling the effort I will endeavour to add a [] prefix to each thread for a time... first to see if it helps and second to see if it catches on with new posters. Looks good.  Thanks!
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
No problem, it's nice to have a little project ;) If my [tags] are incorrect please feel free to list preferred/generally accepted ones here for me to use... prime example [SW] is star wars to me but Savage World would be [SW] too so i've used [Sav W] instead?

Edited 1439308177
Generally speaking, us Savages use either [Savage Worlds] or [SW], not [Sav W]. ;D (note the plural in Savage Worlds )
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I suppose i could strip it back to that since Star Wars is suffixed with EotE for Edge of the Empire :)