Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Macro Bar Icons

Pat
Pro
API Scripter
I thought I'd share a something I stumbled across recently to help distinguish your macro bar buttons until we get button colors and other fancy stuff from the devs. You can copy-past UTF 8 icons into the names of the macro bar buttons directly in the macro definition forms in Roll20.  I did a search of UTF 8 Icons and found a few color ones that help spruce up the bar and group buttons in a way that helps me find them fast.  Once I get used to the pictures, I plan to remove most of the button text to try and crowd more buttons on the on-screen portion of the bar.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Nice find Pat. For those that are looking for something to spice up their macro buttons, that is wonderful find.
Could someone post an example macro and a link to a list of these UTF 8 Icons please?
Silvyre
Forum Champion
John R. said: Could someone post an example macro and a link to a list of these UTF 8 Icons please? This thread might help.
Gold
Forum Champion
Looks like an awesome idea. I plan to try it on my macro quick bar soon too.
Pat
Pro
API Scripter
I used this site: &nbsp; <a href="http://jrgraphix.net/r/Unicode/2700-27BF" rel="nofollow">http://jrgraphix.net/r/Unicode/2700-27BF</a> to find the icons. &nbsp;The set the dropdown to "Dingbats" and "Miscellaneous Symbols" to find the colored symbols. As far as a macro example goes, this technique doesn't require any code, just select and copy (CTRL-C) the symbol you want from the page above and paste it (CTRL-V) into the name of your macro. Here's a picture that I hope helps clarify.
Silvyre
Forum Champion
It's worth noting that the appearance of individual Unicode characters vary greatly depending on system fonts.
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Silvyre said: It's worth noting that the appearance of individual Unicode characters vary greatly depending on system fonts. On the other hand, only you can see your macros*, so unless you access the game on multiple systems, that's not an issue. Anyone with control of a character (or GM permissions) can see the character's abilities, and the GM can create macros visible to other players. * The API can also see your macros, so someone could design a script to look at your icons.
Silvyre said: John R. said: Could someone post an example macro and a link to a list of these UTF 8 Icons please? This thread might help. Yay, my thread! :D