Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Text persistance...future problem?

Okay, just signed on and already I can see a problem. I don't do voice or vid GM'ing (strictly text), but with the text persisting into perpetuity between sessions? Okay.  I can see problems here. IS there a way for a GM to erase the chat logs, or is it just going to grow until it collapses into singularity?
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
You can copy your campaign (extend/ clone) and not include your chat log. There is nothing to be worried about the chat problem. There is in the works other ways to deal with the chat also. I'm a text based GM also so this is a really nice feature being worked on. I won't say anything more until the Devs announce it publicly but there are some really nice features being worked on.
Clearing chat history has been added to the dev server for testing. It may end up going live eventually.
Thank both of you *manly huggs* Okay...I won't frett
Gauss
Forum Champion
Dylan, while yes your logs will increase in size (and yes, we are testing a log clearing function on the Dev server) it should not pose a problem for your campaigns. People have quite large archived logs. The active log (the one in the game) will only show a fraction of the total log.  - Gauss
I like clearing chat logs so that I don't have to make a new copy of a default one shot game campaign to keep people from cheating, by looking through the chat logs. :D
Gauss said: Dylan, while yes your logs will increase in size (and yes, we are testing a log clearing function on the Dev server) it should not pose a problem for your campaigns. People have quite large archived logs. The active log (the one in the game) will only show a fraction of the total log.  - Gauss Fair 'nuff.  But as Honey Badger says; "I like clearing chat logs so that I don't have to make a new copy ..." in my case, when my players get TOO chaty ;-)
Gauss
Forum Champion
Dylan, I was addressing your functionality question regarding log size. In short, logs can be extremely large without having any functional issues with Roll20. I am not commenting on the social ramifications of having an extremely large log. :) - Gauss
Gauss said: Dylan, I was addressing your functionality question regarding log size. In short, logs can be extremely large without having any functional issues with Roll20. I am not commenting on the social ramifications of having an extremely large log. :) - Gauss fair nuff *thumbs up*
By the way; to the devlopers.  Thank you for the delete chat-log button!