Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Adjustable Global Illumination [Dynamic Lighting]

Jefe
Pro
Compendium Curator
I love the new Global Illumination option, but I would like to be able to set the brightness level as well. For example, a globally dimly-lit area for a full moon night or a candle-lit interior.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
I made the same comment somewhere.. now to free up a vote....

Edited 1415772453
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
+1 I would like a slider please.
Alicia
Sheet Author
Some sort of slider so you can create those low-light conditions!
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Mood lighting
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
One thing you can do is add a colored aura radius to a token that all players can see. Set the radius to a number that covers the entire map and choose one or two colored aura radiuses to help color/dim the map.

Edited 1416802845
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
I agree with the slider.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
ArcCain said: I agree with the slider. (and API support please!!!)

Edited 1417756991
Paladintodd
KS Backer
In what case would a slider be beneficial? How does a light sources brightly lit and dim distance interact with a slider? Sounds overly complicated. I would like to have options for Global: Lighted and Global: Dim.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
In what case would a slider be beneficial? How does a light sources brightly lit and dim distance interact with a slider? The slider is really just points on a line and only gives the "illusion" of infinite choices. Which of those points(how dark) do you want? Don't get me wrong, On/Dim/Off is better than On/Off, but IMO, On/-20/-40/-60/-80/Off is better still. :-) How about some API interaction for adjusting the brightness of a map over time? Sunrise, sunset or an eclipse anyone?
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Vince said: How about some API interaction for adjusting the brightness of a map over time? Sunrise, sunset or an eclipse anyone? Yes, that please!
I support this. A slider just like the one the GM gets.
Ahpook
Roll20 Production Team
Add another vote for this!
Was about to post the same suggestion, fortunately I did use Google first. +1
+1
+1. This has been suggested for over a year, and the technology is already in place. I don't understand why the GM can't adjust the opacity for players too. It doesn't even have to have special things like forcing line of sight for viewing tokens. I just need that black to not be so black.
+1
+1
+1
Would also be nice to be able to limit sight range

Edited 1441126233
Jean-Luc C. said: Would also be nice to be able to limit sight range Absolutely. On a flat open terrain...sure you can see for miles, but that doesn't mean you make out what you see. At a certain distance, you can't tell friend or foe. The details get lost. Right now on my Mass Combat 5E map, I've just placed a small token in the upper left, and set the lighting at 2000:0. The party can just barely see to the 3 guard towers on the bridges (the objectives to hold and defend) and can see their torchlight diameters, but not the other side where the enemy forces are. Bottom line is, you can do it, you just have to set tokens around the map and have them emit dim light only. Just a few minutes of extra work. But yes, a toggle for "Bright/Dim" on Global Illumination would be rad. I don't need a slider. Maybe a "Fog" option too that is gray and hazy.

Edited 1454269216
Craig H. said: Jean-Luc C. said: Would also be nice to be able to limit sight range Absolutely. On a flat open terrain...sure you can see for miles, but that doesn't mean you make out what you see. At a certain distance, you can't tell friend or foe. The details get lost. Right now on my Mass Combat 5E map, I've just placed a small token in the upper left, and set the lighting at 2000:0. The party can just barely see to the 3 guard towers on the bridges (the objectives to hold and defend) and can see their torchlight diameters, but not the other side where the enemy forces are. Bottom line is, you can do it, you just have to set tokens around the map and have them emit dim light only. Just a few minutes of extra work. But yes, a toggle for "Bright/Dim" on Global Illumination would be rad. I don't need a slider. Maybe a "Fog" option too that is gray and hazy. That doesn't really work if you have dynamic lighting obstructions. If your dynamic lighting layer isn't completely blank, this casts shadows and makes entire sections of the map black. It's a poor workaround for global dim illumination. (I'm a +1 btw).
Alex C.
Plus
Marketplace Creator
+1
Yes, please let us adventure by moonlight.
Yes, this would be a great addition. I was just going to post this and saw it in the forum.
Please add this development team!!!!
Having access to the GM opacity slider shows what wonderful results could be achieved with this feature. An ability to block off areas as indoor (100% opacity) would enable even more options.

Edited 1458842486
Yes please, +1 for the global dim illumination! The slider would be great but even a check box would do, the idea of marking areas as "indoor" and hence not illuminated would be very useful too.
Running out of the abyss atm. This would be great since pretty much all the area varies from dim light to total darkness.
+1

Edited 1460094216
+1 This please. i'm a new DM running a Hoard of the Dragon Queen campaign for 4 players, the first setting is a town that is specifically in low light conditions, since the map is from overhead with roofs on the buildings it doesn't make any sense for the buildings to be PITCH BLACK. I copied the entire map to the lighting layer and had the map itself give off dim light which produces a nice "it's hard to see but not impossible" feel, but now placing any light barriers creates ridiculously intrusive shadows. I've settled for having the entire map be pitch black, with character tokens "emitting light" only they can see to match their level of vision in a low light setting but this removes a lot of the ambience and functionality of what is otherwise a really awesome feature.
+1 These days, it seems that a lot of module 'battle maps' tend to mix external and internal - in my case, Cragmaw Castle in 5E - and these are a real pain to try and fudge with the existing Dynamic Lighting settings. I agree with the preceding posts that a variable setting for Global Illumination would be real handy. IMHO, I think the approach of On/-20/-40/-60/-80/Off (as suggested above) is more than sufficient - I doubt anyone really, truly needs to be able to select a setting of 57.97%... Perhaps also you could specify the source / direction of the global illumination? This would, in conjunction with having the light blocked by the dynamic lighting 'walls', allow for some effective lighting. As this is a 'wish list', I might as well ask if you could add a 'permeability' setting (slider or values) for a dynamic lighting 'wall'. This would enable us to create 'windows' and let the mathematics light the interior space for us.

Edited 1472840663
Totally agree with the slider suggestion. Was trying to do a nighttime infiltration mission with MGS-style vision cones for the enemies and was disappointed that there wasn't a setting for variable global illumination. I was however able to find a sort of hack that got me the effect I wanted. I'll leave instructions here for anyone who wants to do something similar. 1. Disable Global Illumination and enable Dynamic Lighting 2. Add tokens for guards and set them to emit light in a cone equivalent to the vision cone you want players to see (example 30 ft, 120 degrees) 3. Add player tokens and set them to emit light with a radius greater than the map size (eg. 1000 ft) then set the Start of Dim to -100, and the angle to 360. 4. Set player tokens to have sight in a 360 degree angle. The end result is that players will see a uniform dim light anywhere their tokens have vision and the light emitted by the enemy tokens will create vision cones in the dim light that are visible to the players. Edit: Also make sure that player tokens don't have "All players can see light" checked or the player's will see each others dim light overlap and create brighter spots that look awful.
+1 on this. It would be great to be able to adjust Day / Night using a color overlay.  This would avoid having a different map or adding a layer on the map (use less space) Thanks
+1
Need this! 
+1
THIS!!!!  +1
I was just now wanting this. I'm setting up an encounter in Upper Menthis in Sharn at night with torch-lit streets. Eberron has 12 moons and a ring, so you know there's going to be some dim light in the sky.
This would absolutely, positively be splendid... bump?
Support Class
Marketplace Creator
This would be fantastic! Also would be nice to be able to add a tint, so you can give a real look of sunset/blue moonlight/etc.
Jefe
Pro
Compendium Curator
I'd like all light sources to be able to have a tint, but maybe that could be a separate request.
Tom
KS Backer
Sheet Author
+1
+1 so much
+1
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
How have I not seen this suggestion before? Yes to it please.
Adding my small voice to this request
+1
+1
+1