Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Newb questions

Hello everyone, new to Roll20.  I've been watching it periodically since the Kickstarter, but haven't taken the plunge yet since it didn't seem entirely suitable for my gaming system of choice.  Well, I'm getting really tired of Java issues and MapTool, so I've now decided to see if I can crowbar Roll20 into doing the things that I want.  Unfortunately, that means learning a lot about the API and JavaScript, since a pre-built framework for my game system doesn't exist due to their online policy.  Only a couple of character sheets--which is good, don't get me wrong, but there are a lot of other things I need to get operational before I will seriously consider jumping into Roll20 for my weekly gaming sessions.  Things that make my life as a GM much simpler, and save me time. I'm not a programmer.  More of a network nerd.  I've dipped my toes into programming and scripting once in a while over the past 20 years, but only at a very introductory level.  I'm finding Roll20 a significant challenge--more so than I was hoping. So, the first thing I'm having trouble with, is that I have this script by Ryan Littlefield that I've installed into my campaign called Dice Expression Checker.  Seems nice, and it allows rolls from the Character Sheet.  But I can't figure out how to use it for my own purposes.  It doesn't seem to come with any comments or usage instructions on how to use it from the chat window, or from dice macros of my own.  I've banged my head against it, trying to parse the script itself for clues on how to use it, but I'm getting nowhere.  I can't call it from the chat or from a macro and get a result.  All the reading from the Wiki doesn't seem to be helping me. I've noticed that this is not unusual for API scripts in the library to not come with instructions, so if anyone can point me in the direction of how to figure this out, with only the script to work with, that would be great.  There seem to be quite a few people who are quite talented working with and using Roll20, so I hope someone can spare some time to give me a leg up. This is not likely to be my last question.   :-)
Silvyre
Forum Champion
This thread might help.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
A lot of the time, the easiest thing to do is ask on the forum. &nbsp;Most scripts have an original forum post that described them in some detail, which can be linked to or found. &nbsp;There is also a partially created wiki:&nbsp; <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/API:Script_Index" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/API:Script_Index</a> which details some of them. Almost all of my scripts follow a fairly standard pattern, whereby they have a single command to access them, and that command will take an argument of --help to show an in-game help for everything about it. !token-mod --help I need to add better documentation in the form of a README.md to all of them, but I'm a programmer, so I haven't gotten to it yet...