Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Multiple fields in a single Query?

Is there a way for a single Query popup to have multiple fields in it, or do we really have to query our players over and over again when the necessary detail requires it?

Edited 1441085406
Single Query & Response. Techhhhhhhnically, you could use the Drop-Down Query's and list out every combination of your macro to use. ex: If I want a regular sword, a sword with power attack, a regular sword with sneak attack, a sword with power attack and sneak attack... ?{Attack Condition| Regular , Hit[[1d20+2]] for [[1d8+2]] dmg| Power Attack , Hit[[1d20+2-2]] for [[1d8+2+4]] dmg| Regular Sneak Attack ,Hit [[1d20+2]] for [[1d8+2+3d6]] dmg| PowerAttack+Sneak Attack , Hit[[1d20+2-2]] for [[1d8+2+4+3d6]] dmg}
Yeah, I was really shooting for 1 or 2 Drop-Down menus and some fields for difficulty modifiers, not just one crazy big Drop-Downs.
yeah, that's why there's so much discussion over techniques to use things like the token bars as ability toggles, getting info from stored attributes, etc, in lieu of asking the end-user 101 questions each time they click the macro.
Well, what I really need is the ability to conveniently grab dice pools with the dice roller, but that ain't happenin'. So in the meantime, being able to select an ability, a skill, and a difficulty modifier would be great.
Silvyre
Forum Champion
You could have one queries for both skills and abilities, given that skills are tied to abilities. I might format a DC query like this: DC ?{DC|—|5|10|15|20|Other,?{Other|Unknown}}
Only some systems tie skills to abilities. When the ability and skill combination are contextually driven, you can get some really odd combinations that only make sense in the moment, but are genuinely valid there. In those cases, being able to draw from multiple pools becomes a really big deal , particularly when the combinatorics would make using all individual combinations pathological.

Edited 1441096646
Tenacious Techhunter said: Well, what I really need is the ability to conveniently grab dice pools with the dice roller, but that ain't happenin'. So in the meantime, being able to select an ability, a skill, and a difficulty modifier would be great. I'm not quite sure how to adapt it to what you need, but.... Yes. Yes, there is! (And I just finished doing it, and am insufferably proud of it!) If your willing to do the massive amounts of data entry, there is a way to query for a few keywords and mix and match them to do creative things with. Happen to play Hc Svnt Dracones? No matter. Stats in HSD are almost a spread sheet lookup. Columns define the type of dice which I dub bases stats: Body, Mind, Community, Economy-, and there are different aspects of those those base stats: Dexterity,Resilience,Acuity,Strength,Presence. In total a character actually has 20 stats (which is far more intuitive then it sounds): There are also some 30 skills. When you roll something it's labeled first the base stat, then the aspect , then plus a skill. For example: Body:Dexterity + C-Q-C Mind:Acuity + Ranged Combat Economy:Dexterity + Finance I'd look up what I'd roll for a Body, Mind, or Economy roll (d12, d10, d8). I'd look up how many dots in each of the aspects of those columns I have to find the number of dice. (3,2,1). Then add the skill mod, which I'll just say is 2 across the board and "because". Those rolls then become: 3d12+2 2d10+2 1d8+2 On the kludged "character sheet" I store stats as "BodyDexterity", "Body Dice", "CQC", "MindAcuity", "Mind Dice", "Ranged Combat", "EconomyDexterity", "Economy Dice", and "Finance. So I went to town and created the following macro: [?{Base Stat|Mind|Body|Community|Economy}:?{Aspect|Dexterity|Resilience|Acuity|Strength|Presence}+?{Skill|Booksmarts|Medicine|Science|Investigation|Computers|Craft|Repair|Robotics|C-Q-C|Ranged Combat|Security|Survival|Coercion|Command|Deception|Express|Inspire|Intimidate|Athletics|Finance|Fly|Lockpick|Navigate|Operate|Pilot|Scent|Sneak|Spot|Streetsmarts|Swim}](!
/r [?{Base Stat}:?{Aspect} + ?{Skill}] {@{selected|?{Base Stat}?{Aspect}}d@{selected|?{Base Stat} Dice}+@{selected|?{Skill}}}>8) It creates a little button in the chat window for HSD that has everyone that clicks on it roll what basically looks like this (with only rolls at or over 8 counting as a success): /r [?{Base Stat}:?{Aspect} + ?{Skill}] {@{selected|?{Base Stat}?{Aspect}}d@{selected|?{Base Stat} Dice}+@{selected|?{Skill}}}>8
Well yes, but those are separate queries in separate popups, aren't they? I was asking how to do that in one query popup that had multiple fields.

Edited 1441097729
Ok, My mistake. (See also: insufferably proud.) There is no way to enter more then one value at a time. There is a way to do keyword replacing. If you want one entry to do more then one thing? It's one of those things that can be done, but your going to spend days or weeks or maybe months getting the intricate details correct and tested. You'd have to create a whole custom syntax and/or get into things like boolean math. Edit: You could create macro fragments, and then combine them into one end-use macro for ever combination.
You could create a branching tree of commands. That is a basic "menu" button that spawns a series of other fixed lists of buttons. If you have the API and can make chat entered commands adjust (hidden) character sheets? You could make a very very old school menu system. Like text-based adventure old school menu system. By using, and changing attribute fields to store, recall, and run differernt macros.
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Tenacious Techhunter , you may do well creating a thread in the Suggestions & Ideas subforum.
That would require having some to spare; I don't. Bigger fish to fry. Besides, the real problem here is Roll20 not handling dice pools well. You can't efficiently take two pools, mash them together, and roll them, however you may need.
At the risk of opening my mouth, and inserting my foot again? Define what you need done. The Ironclaw game system define rolling dice by pools of dice instead of individual dice. I wrote a macro setup for that too not that long ago.
Well, this post is really about the multiple query fields. I see nothing new that would be helpful in efficiently rolling dice pools.

Edited 1441138348
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Here is a more dynamic method of combining modifiers that I am fond of: ?{Modifiers|+Ability,+Ability ?{Other Modifiers|None, |+Ability,|+Skill,|+Custom,+(?{Custom|0})}|+Skill, +Skill ?{Other Modifiers|None, |+Ability,|+Skill,|+Custom,+(?{Custom|0})}|+Custom,+(?{Custom|0})}

Edited 1441138844
That's sort of the point, I'm being nosy about. Ok, it's a specific question that has been answered specifically. Granted. I'm a little spastic, but I'm also very mentally flexible and enjoy problem solving. I may find a way or at least not too painful alternative if you show me what needs to be done. For example, I setup a macro in Iron claw the DM answers two pops for and it creates a button the players just have to click to roll two different dice pools groups of dice pools at once. Edit: I should amend that. Each referenced attribute is typical 0-1 dice, but has the potential to be 3. The below macro references four attributes, but is rolling between 0 and 12 dice. [Roll ?{Stat|Species,Species|Career,Career|Body,Body|Speed,Speed|Mind,Mind|Will,Will},?{Skill|Academics,Academics|Brawling,Brawling|Climbing,Climbing|Craft,Craft|Deceit,Deceit|Digging,Digging|Dodge,Dodge|Endurance,Endurance|Gossip,Gossip|Inquiry,Inquiry|Jumping,Jumping|Leadership,Leadership|Melee Combat,MeleeCombat|Negotiation,Negotiation|Observation,Observation|Presence,Presence|Ranged Combat,Rangedcombat|Riding,Riding|Searching,Searching|Stealth,Stealth|Supernatural,Supernatural|Swimming,Swimming|Tactics,Tactics|Throwing,Throwing|Vehicles,Vehicles}](!
/roll [?{Stat},?{Skill}]{@{selected|?{Stat}-select},@{selected|select_mark-?{Skill}}@{selected|select_species-?{Skill}},@{selected|select_career-?{Skill}}}kh1) As you wish though.
That would be nice if the point was for the GM to feed the player a relevant macro button, but I'm looking for something else. Clever, though. Silvyre said: Here is a more dynamic method of combining modifiers that I am fond of But that doesn't put the multiple fields on one popup, does it?

Edited 1441139198
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Tenacious Techhunter said: But that doesn't put the multiple fields on one popup, does it? I can do many things, but not the impossible. Also, consider this: learning to use your keyboard to more rapidly navigate through dropdowns and speed through Roll Query input. Once you become adept at this, you may discover that the concept of a Roll Query with multiple fields loses most of its novelty (devolving to pressing Tab instead of Enter).

Edited 1441138980
Well... You could just have a pop up that ask:s "What dice?" you enter "50d100 + 200d10" and it wrap a dice rolling command around that.

Edited 1441141913
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Tenacious Techhunter said: Well, this post is really about the multiple query fields. I see nothing new that would be helpful in efficiently rolling dice pools. As has been indicated, there is no way in the base system to have one query solicit multiple pieces of information, because of the way roll queries work. A roll query is our version of a variable , and there's no way currently to assign multiple variables in one pass. You're stuck with multiple queries. If you were to upgrade to a Pro level account , there's a good chance an API script could solve your problems, it could pop up a single box asking for your pools and you could give it something like "Mind; Persuasion; 3" and it would do the needed dice rolling (just one idea on syntax) -- but I'm only about 50% certain the API can break the order of operations. It's worth posting a request in the API forum, however, to see if this can be done that way. You already have two suggestions in the Suggestion Forums ( <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/1276271/" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/1276271/</a> and <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/1458241/" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/1458241/</a> -- sidenote, as they're basically the same suggestion you might delete one to get a vote back) I won't suggest you write up something for that forum. As the original question has been asked and answered, and you've indicated you're not interested in workarounds that involve multiple query windows, I'll go ahead and close this thread now.