Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Video Chat Windows - vary size based on broadcast settings

I was testing Roll20 last night with two of my players, and we were mostly really pleased with how smooth it all went. Only a couple things came up. One was player editing permissions on tokens, which is discussed elsewhere and I've voted to +1 those posts. The other was the ability, if possible, to have the size of the video display windows alter based on the broadcast settings of the particular client (basically, if you're only broadcasting or only receiving audio, then the camera window doesn't need to be there, and a smaller window - maybe with just a small silhouette icon and a speaker icon - is all that's needed). Trying to determine this automatically might get weird since each player can decide whether to transmit and receive differently, but a button in the screen to toggle it from big to small would be ample. Since none of us have cameras, the camera screen was essentially wasted space. Not a big deal, but something to consider. Here's a mockup complete with smaller video screens, and even a crappy "expand me" icon.
Aye. I second this option. I'm the GM. Our available bandwidth is more like jumped-up dial-up and the group is split between US & UK, so we use voice-only. It would save quite a bit of screen space to be able to minimize the talk-box size.
My play style is very talky, and I'd like the video windows enlargable. Also, cropped to portrait orientation and arranged at the top of the monitor, near the usual position of the webcam.
I third the option for minimisable vidwindows. Moveable and enlargeable windows optional but not a priority for me.
Yeah, I just completed my first test session, where we all went with voice chat only, and the player on a laptop immediately asked if it was possible to minimize or remove entirely the boxes.
Mr G
KS Backer
We had a voice only session last night and it seemed there was no way to tell which box "belonged" to which player (important so you can turn down or up the load or quiet feeds). Would it be possible to display the players' names on / above / below the feed that belongs to them?