Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Journal Variable Fields

My players and I thought it would be a great additional to add variable fields to the journal that we could utilize to call in macro's. These don't have to be specific to anything it could just be a set of like 25-50 variable fields V1-V25 or whatever that you could then add to a macro. This would allow you to create macros and when leveling up a character you would only need to update the value in one place instead of in multiple places. For instance say V1 is your base attack bonus. You might have 1-5 macro's for different weapons each one that includes your BAB. With this you would have the macro be /r 1d20+[V1] and then anytime you change your BAB in the journal your macro's would already be up to date. This would basically be a step in the direction of allowing players to almost define a character sheet for their characters (or I guess NPC's also).
You can kind of do this already. It wouldn't be in the character journal but you could make a base attack macro (say #attack /r 1d20+5) then make a nested macro for the different weapons (say #longsword #attack +3). Then when you level up you just change the attack macro and your longsword macro is updated automatically.
What I would like to see is the ability to change such variables through macro's. Let's say I want to keep track of how much gold a character has. I make a variable called "money". I can then make a macro called "pay": "money = money -(input). If I then ran pay 10, the character would lose 10 gp. If I ran pay -10, it would earn 10 gp. If conditional statements are implemented, you could even modify the macro to type "You don't have enough money" when the variable would go bellow zero.
I just want to add, that I also made a suggestion to store variables similar to card decks (<a href="http://community.roll20.net/discussion/2575/unit-pools#Item_1" rel="nofollow">http://community.roll20.net/discussion/2575/unit-pools#Item_1</a>), but I think this should have priority.