Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Out of curiosity - how does Roll20 determine how many hours I've played?

I saw a note in my campaign page that I've played more than 130 hours with Roll20, and I was wondering how that was calculated (mostly because it's somewhat...inflated...I've got maybe 2 hours of playtime so far).
Off the top of my head, I would guess it is how long you are logged into a campaign.
Off the top of my head, I would guess it is how long you are logged into a campaign. Seems daft that they would count the time that I've spent looking for token art and writing things in journals as 'playing'. Nevermind the time that I just leave the thing logged in and do other things. Last time I looked it told me that I had spent 47 hours 'playing' when I know that I have only spent about 8 hours on actual games. A more accurate thing might be to only count the time where you and at least one other person are logged into the same campaign. Still not perfect, but would be more accurate.
Off the top of my head, I would guess it is how long you are logged into a campaign. Seems daft that they would count the time that I've spent looking for token art and writing things in journals as 'playing'. Nevermind the time that I just leave the thing logged in and do other things. Last time I looked it told me that I had spent 47 hours 'playing' when I know that I have only spent about 8 hours on actual games. A more accurate thing might be to only count the time where you and at least one other person are logged into the same campaign. Still not perfect, but would be more accurate. We check for activity (in other words, that you aren't idle), but otherwise it does count the "daft" time you refer to... just as World of WarCraft wouldn't just track the amount of time you're raiding but instead is your total time logged in (even if you're just running in circles around Ironforge). You're using the application when you're looking for art and writing in the journal. Which is great. We built the application to be used.
Makes sense. I had no idea I'd had the system in use that much, although now that I think back I did keep a campaign open for a few days while working on a tileset. I'm not running or playing anything at the moment with Roll20, so the number was just surprising.
Just to add to what Nolan said, it specifically does *not* count time you spend outside of the actual tabletop interface (e.g. browsing LFG, browsing the forums, browsing the Marketplace, etc.) Only when you're actually in a Campaign. And it's just a fun stat that's a useful gauge for us to tell who our "active" users are, and also how much time people are spending in the actual application.